Half Gain Switch on SuperFuzz

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...

Half Gain Switch on SuperFuzz

Postby lespaulnmarshall » 28 Oct 2018, 10:08

Hi All,

This is my first post here. I've been building vero board clones for a while and have been a reader on the forum, as it's such a great information source.
Sorry if this is the wrong section for this question, but I wasn't quite sure where it belonged...

My next project will be a superfuzz. I know that basic audio builds a really nice superfuzz, and I thought his 1/2 gain switch is a great addition to the pedal. From the demos it seems like the superfuzz is really reactive to the switch and it allows for a bunch of tones you can't really get without it. I was wondering what the best way would be to go about adding such a switch to my build? Is it as simple as making the input resistor switchable? Or is there more to this? Is the switch likely to be elsewhere in the circuit?

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Thanks in advance,
Maurice
lespaulnmarshall

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Half Gain Switch on SuperFuzz

Postby Zokk » 28 Oct 2018, 12:42

Hi
welcome here :thumbsup

I'd say the simple way to reduce gain on the first stage is to put a second input resistor (say 100K for example) and switch between them.
To me it is really useful when the fuzz is used with high gain pickups, they sound best with their input level attenuated with a 100K/100K divider.
Otherwise I've found the original 22K perfectly suited for "vintage" low level single coils.

cheers.
Zokk
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 61 times

Postby HEAD » 28 Oct 2018, 14:34

Hi,

to get the half gain option with the superfuzz just make the 10µF cap from the Emitter of Q2 to ground switchable. Did that on mine. Works perfect. To turn of the octave I just put in a switch that simply jumpers Q4-Q5. It's a crude solution but works.

KR
Helge
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HEAD
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 43 times

Postby lespaulnmarshall » 28 Oct 2018, 20:01

Thanks for the replies! I will try both methods!
lespaulnmarshall

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Vintage Stompbox Corner ( ... - 1975)