Commercial whaling Japan

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

Commercial whaling Japan

Postby Manfred » 28 Dec 2018, 17:17

The Japanese have announced that they will start commercia wahling again.
If this is becomes true, then I intend to boycott Japanese products,
including guitars and music electronics.
What do you think about?
Manfred
Diode Debunker

Have thanks: 576 times

Re: Commercial whaling Japan

Postby Dirk_Hendrik » 29 Dec 2018, 10:21

Difficult Manfred.... difficult.

The Japanese claim to start hunting for non-endangered species of whales again. While I personally disagree on that I still tend to find this a better explanation than the "research" excuse they used for years. That one was really crap. The Japanese claim "tradition". Who am I, as a foreigner, to force my opinion of traditions upon the Japanese and be angry if foreign countries have an opinion in my local traditions. (The Dutch black peter discussion comes to my mind).

Japanese do not eat whale on a large scale.

We, all around the world, do produce a shitload of CO2 and seem unable to make significant reductions. Even worse, cars are getting bigger and presidents are being elected that are so retard they just deny the problem.... Dos that mean we're not going to buy stuff from the US anymore (climate policy), from Germany (Car and steel industry), Holland (Beer, Heineken is the number 3 CO2 polluter here), China (anything) etc etc..

As said. Difficult.. and honestly, I do not know the general answer. Only my own.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com
Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 1025 times

Postby Manfred » 29 Dec 2018, 20:03

Hi dirk,

thanks for your personal statement.
I understand what you are saying, all sides have to take a good look at themselves.
BTW, I do not understand Dutch black peter discussion, IMO, this tradition does not intends to discriminate against black skinned people.

The whales die in agony.
I see no need to eat whales for traditional reasons.
The whaling will be done outside of the domestic Japan's borders too, and therefore of international concern.

I know, it gives a lot of traditions in which people are hurted and killed,
so that whaling appears to be of little importance.

You are right, it is indeed difficult.
Where should we starts, where should we stop.
Manfred
Diode Debunker

Postby Yazoo55 » 30 Dec 2018, 01:00

I remember an introduction to English 18th century history at school. One tradition was to grease a live goose's neck and hang it upside down. In this "game" riders would ride past and try to pull the goose's head off. Many things which may have been part of a country's culture in the past have no part to play in the present. Fox hunting has now been banned in the UK yet many people want to make it legal again and one of the arguments they use is that it is a part of British culture! Oscar Wilde got it right when he described it as "the unspeakable in full pursuit of the uneatable".
Yazoo55
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby Yazoo55 » 30 Dec 2018, 01:00

I remember an introduction to English 18th century history at school. One tradition was to grease a live goose's neck and hang it upside down. In this "game" riders would ride past and try to pull the goose's head off. Many things which may have been part of a country's culture in the past have no part to play in the present. Fox hunting has now been banned in the UK yet many people want to make it legal again and one of the arguments they use is that it is a part of British culture! Oscar Wilde got it right when he described it as "the unspeakable in full pursuit of the uneatable".
Yazoo55
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby ppluis0 » 30 Dec 2018, 02:47

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:We, all around the world, do produce a shitload of CO2 and seem unable to make significant reductions.

Hi Dirk,

I have personally prepared a fuel called biodiesel for my own consumption and I have been using it in my truck for more than 12 years.
I do it by collecting vegetable oil used to fry potatoes in several restaurants in my area and I have traveled around 300,000 km (equivalent to 33,000 liters of that fuel)
That is my humble contribution to avoid greenhouse gases.

I'm sorry for derailing this topic, since I do not have an opinion formed on the fact that Manfred has raised ... :oops:

Cheers,
Jose
ppluis0
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby Dirk_Hendrik » 30 Dec 2018, 09:58

Lovin' it Jose! Any initiative that saves should be welcomed. :applause:

Thing is, that while this small scale initiative works it cannot be scaled up to a magnitude where it matters on a global scale.

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand

Postby Ben N » 30 Dec 2018, 16:59

I understand and share your dismay, but I'm not a fan of indiscriminate boycotts. Does Roland, or Honda, for example, engage in whaling or benefit from it? Do you have reason to believe they are somehow complicit in this new policy or had a real opportunity to block its adoption but failed to do so? If not, boycotting them serves no positive purpose.
Ben N
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby Dirk_Hendrik » 30 Dec 2018, 17:32

Do you have suggestions on "how to" Ben? The primary focus is to get a countries government to change it's ways. Usually to a way which is, worldwide, considered more acceptable.

In many cases boycott of a countries industry has been a very good way to get the attention of the leaders of that country. As in.... one has to start somewhere and a boycott if industrial output is a pretty effective way. It worked, as an example, pretty well to get the South African gvt to revise their apartheid policies.

No, Roland and Honda may not be involved in whaling but they have employees who are involved in the consumption of Whale meat. That means they will notice the connection between their declined production and their governments politics.

One has to start somewhere.

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand

Postby Manfred » 30 Dec 2018, 17:49

Ben N wrote:I understand and share your dismay, but I'm not a fan of indiscriminate boycotts. Does Roland, or Honda, for example, engage in whaling or benefit from it? Do you have reason to believe they are somehow complicit in this new policy or had a real opportunity to block its adoption but failed to do so? If not, boycotting them serves no positive purpose.

I can understand your objection, but I do not call for a boycott, the intention was just for me.
For me, it is clear that, a hand of people cannot achieve anything, I rather want point to and trigger a discussion.
In any case, a I lot of people should sign a petition against whaling.
Manfred
Diode Debunker

Return to Freestomp Café!