MXR - Doubleshot Distortion

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
oscarv77
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by oscarv77 »

I know this is a really old topic, but I finally got my hands on a broken one and I was able to get the pcb out of the enclosure. The one I have has a burnt out resistor or 2 (wrong adapter plugged in). Since it's out of the box, I'm willing to take high-res pictures of both sides (double-sided PCB with 99.5% SMD components) if the interest is still there. In my searching for the schematic, it seems that it's one of the pedals that has proved to be elusive.

Let me know; I'll have the pedal out of the box and ready for pictures until I can get a reply from Dunlop on what to replace to fix it.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

Yes, take some pictures of the component side please. There is always interest. :applause:
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

relic_elite
Information
my favorite amplifier: soldano SLO100

Post by relic_elite »

i think i have one of these lying around
i will try to extract the pcb this week and take some shot ;)

jcgss77
Information

Post by jcgss77 »

Sorry for necrobumping, but has anyone gotten those pics that were promised, or possibly has the schematic been traced? Thank you!

theehman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by theehman »

Anybody still interested in this? I have one here that's not working and already dismantled.
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

okgb
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by okgb »

No one would mind if you posted pix, see if that re-stimulates interest thanks!

theehman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by theehman »

okgb wrote:No one would mind if you posted pix, see if that re-stimulates interest thanks!

I'll see if I can get some pictures up this weekend.
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

hemisfeer
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Completed builds: A lot of the BYOC catalog as well as some ModKitsDiy pedals. Looking to venture in to amps someday. Need to learn some more

Post by hemisfeer »

Hey everyone, I have a double shot distortion I'm trying to fix. The problem is with the focus control for the top channel. With the focus out, (led off) I get manipulation of the midrange, however, with the focus in, (led on) I get no midrange control. I changed U16, but it didn't fix the problem. I'm guessing, the switch routes the midrange signal to a different part of the PCB, but it's not getting to wherever it needs to go. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

FuzzMonkey
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by FuzzMonkey »

hemisfeer wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 00:51 Hey everyone, I have a double shot distortion I'm trying to fix. The problem is with the focus control for the top channel. With the focus out, (led off) I get manipulation of the midrange, however, with the focus in, (led on) I get no midrange control. I changed U16, but it didn't fix the problem. I'm guessing, the switch routes the midrange signal to a different part of the PCB, but it's not getting to wherever it needs to go. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
Does the bottom channel work? Is it possible to trace the path of the focus control from the bottom channel?

hemisfeer
Information
Completed builds: A lot of the BYOC catalog as well as some ModKitsDiy pedals. Looking to venture in to amps someday. Need to learn some more

Post by hemisfeer »

Hey FuzzMonkey,

Its a pretty busy circuit. I'm not sure if they're "symmetrical", but, yes the bottom channel does work. Somewhere the signal is getting shunted to ground before it gets to the mids pot after the switch. Its just trying to figure out where its going.

hemisfeer
Information

Post by hemisfeer »

Hey everyone, there has been a development in the MXR doubleshot issue. I bought a second one recently from a person on ebay who tested it and sold it as completely functional. I get it and it has the same issue where the mids control on the top channel is non functional with the focus button depressed. Does anyone else out there have a doubleshot distortion that acts this way? The odds that these two pedals have the exact same malfunction are slim at best. I'm starting to think that's how they were supposed to work.

hemisfeer
Information

Post by hemisfeer »

Good news on the doubleshot distortion. I got confirmation from a seller on eBay that the mids control on the top channel does not work when the focus control is depressed. The bottom channel's mids control works with the focus button in or out. Weird set up.