Do you guys know any uncommon guitar playing technique ?

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

Re: Do you guys know any uncommon guitar playing technique ?

Postby PurpleOhmAudio » 15 Feb 2020, 02:19

This is totally out there, but the tone is fantastic...

and sorry to do this but I just had to..... Dumble just sat there putting up with it :hmmm:

PurpleOhmAudio

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby soulsonic » 15 Feb 2020, 05:42

PurpleOhmAudio wrote:This is totally out there, but the tone is fantastic...

and sorry to do this but I just had to..... Dumble just sat there putting up with it :hmmm:

This is great stuff.
The Derek Bailey clip is interesting. I like what he's doing. First few minutes I was thinking, "gee, he's only doing these harmonics, which really limits the notes he has available without retuning," but then he mixed it up in a good way. It's a good Minimalist take, that I can appreciate.

Now let me comment about Henry Kaiser. I've known this clip for quite awhile (as most of us have). But, I was intrigued enough by the strangeness of it to seek out the rest of the video (which is up on youtube somewhere). It's part of a vid he did where he's demonstrating creative use of weird effects. In that context this clip makes sense, because demonstrating some weird thing he programmed his Eventide H3000 to do. That's really all that's going on here. This a fun goofy clip to laugh at, but the title "worst guitarist ever" is extraordinarily misleading, considering it's from one of those guitar shredder how-to lesson tapes that they used to sell back in the 80's-90's...
Which brings us to Mr. Dumble... why is he just randomly sitting in as accompanist to this seemingly random guy making weird noises and somehow getting his video out amongst the shred vids? Well...a quick google of his name tells you enough: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_J._Kaiser was his grandfather, so he can buy Dumble amps all day long, and he certainly does. I'm not saying this to diminish him as a musician, because I really enjoy what he does. I actually sold a pedal to him once and he was very friendly and cool and even sent me a few of his albums, which I duly listened to whilst giving his pedal a strange paint job ("Zen Kaiju" with Kiku Day is absolutely excellent). He's a great guitarist who does very interesting experimental music, and has earned my admiration, which is extremely difficult to do. You can even hear him on the soundtrack to the Werner Herzog film "Encounters at the End of the World." BTW, he also appears in that film because he was inexplicably allowed to travel to Antarctica to hang out and entertain the research scientists. Funny how that works. :wink:
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran
soulsonic
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 296 times

Postby soulsonic » 15 Feb 2020, 05:45

In case you didn't get what I was pointing at... Dumble is in that video because Dumble is a whore who just wants money and Kaiser has plenty of it.
:horsey:
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran
soulsonic
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 296 times

Postby phatt » 15 Feb 2020, 06:50

Here's one amazing chap who has incredible talent, Ben Lacy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulC9TUq ... 4UbfHNWkQJ
Phil.
phatt
Transistor Tuner

Have thanks: 290 times

Previous

Return to Freestomp Café!