Tone Rider pickups

Pickups, wiring schemes, switch techniques and onboard active electronics for guitars and basses
Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

I've just installed a set of Tone Rider 'Hot Tele' pups on a project Tele - and they are very tasty (despite being Chinese made).

The neck pickup, unfortunately, was dead on arrival - but the shop replaced it immediately, and the replacement was just fine.

All in all, great Tele tone with a bit more bite, and without the harshness - for about £60 (UK).
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

condorface
Information

Post by condorface »

I really like my Tonerider Rocksong Humbuckers. My blacktop HH strat humbuckers were 17k+, even in the neck pickup. Way too dark. The toneriders are alot more balanced. Worth the price.

biliousfrog
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Zen Drive, Fuzz Factory, Really Cheap Compressor, D*A*M 66, Klon Buffer, CryBaby mods, Boss TR2 mods, Various loops and switchers, DOD250, Fulltone Bass Drive, MXR Bluebox mods

Post by biliousfrog »

I put the same set in my homebuilt tele and have been really impressed. I'd heard very good things about the sound but another factor for me was that they looked suitably vintage as I wanted to do a relic job - nickel plating, cotton tape, fibreboard bobbin = win win

Piccy: https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 3513_n.jpg

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

Nice looking geetarr BF !
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

wildschwein
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by wildschwein »

I've got a couple of sets of their humbuckers. Both are uncovered, one is the hotter Rocksong set, the other is a lower output PAF type - can't remember the name. Very nice for the money, in fact as good as some pups twice their price. I can't really find any reason to replace them. I do have Wilde by Bill Lawrence pups in a lot of other guitars which have a flatter wider response, generally speaking, but for regular humbucker sounds the Tone Riders are great.

wildschwein
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by wildschwein »

wildschwein wrote:...one is the hotter Rocksong set, the other is a lower output PAF type - can't remember the name.
Edit: Actually I think it was a Generator set which are about 16k in the bridge. The other set was the Classic Alnico IIs or IVs - memory escapes me.

jbgron
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Orange OR-120

Post by jbgron »

I've got a set of Tone Rider City Limits in one of my strats and they are surprisingly good too.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

I've got a pair of their HB sized P90s .. had them in my tokai love rock for maybe 5 years? I reckon they're great.... but I have crap taste so who knows? no complaints from anyone else yet.. heh
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.