Volume Limiting Resistor?

Frequently asked question regarding resistors, potentiometers, types, requirements, ratings etc.
trad3mark
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox Valvetronix Series
Completed builds: Super Hard On
Fuzz Factory
Aenima/Torn's Peaker (2 in 1 box with toggle switch)
Valvecaster Deluxe (Boost before VC)
Proco Rat (Mod to power jack, and input cap changed)
87% PillowStone
87% GlassJaw

Post by trad3mark »

Hey all,
I'm making an OD pedal at the moment, but i'm having a little trouble with the volume pot. everything else with it is just right, so this is last on the to do list before the final build.

Anyway, I started off with a 250k pot, then 100k, then 47k, and now there's a 25k pot, and it's still WAY too loud. One of my pedals lets me know when the volume into it is above peak, and then into dangerous, and it's almost always on peak, and when i hit a chord, it goes into danger. And thats when the volume is between 1% and ~15%.

Each time i've changed the pot, it has improved, but not enough. and, i don't have any lower pot values. So, I was wondering, between effect out and the 1st lug of the volume pot, can i put in a resistor to limit the volume before it gets to the pot? or should i put it across two of the lugs? I'm sure i've seen this done before, but i can't remember how it was done. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Cheers,
tm

Silent Fly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Silent Fly »

trad3mark wrote:Hey all,
I'm making an OD pedal at the moment, but i'm having a little trouble with the volume pot. everything else with it is just right, so this is last on the to do list before the final build.

Anyway, I started off with a 250k pot, then 100k, then 47k, and now there's a 25k pot, and it's still WAY too loud. One of my pedals lets me know when the volume into it is above peak, and then into dangerous, and it's almost always on peak, and when i hit a chord, it goes into danger. And thats when the volume is between 1% and ~15%.

Each time i've changed the pot, it has improved, but not enough. and, i don't have any lower pot values. So, I was wondering, between effect out and the 1st lug of the volume pot, can i put in a resistor to limit the volume before it gets to the pot? or should i put it across two of the lugs? I'm sure i've seen this done before, but i can't remember how it was done. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Cheers,
tm
I would use the 250k pot with a voltage divider before.
"Remember - all I am offering is the truth, nothing more". Morpheus

cpm
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by cpm »

have you checked the pot is NOT linear?

if not, i wuld go for the voltage divider too, but take account about the impedance if it may be an issue.
Better would be to attenuate bofore an active stage, (e.g. output buffer, etc). Without details on the circuit we cant go into more detail-

trad3mark
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox Valvetronix Series
Completed builds: Super Hard On
Fuzz Factory
Aenima/Torn's Peaker (2 in 1 box with toggle switch)
Valvecaster Deluxe (Boost before VC)
Proco Rat (Mod to power jack, and input cap changed)
87% PillowStone
87% GlassJaw

Post by trad3mark »

no its definitely a linear taper.

I came across that article "The Secret life of Pots" and that COMPLETELY sorted out what i'm going to do! :D