Austone - Vibrostomp  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
KindaFuzzy
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by KindaFuzzy »

Does it sound like my clip? It is a fairly subtle effect, but should be doing enough to get some good wiggle. I've used 2n4392 for the FETs too and they work fine, shouldn't matter which FETs, you could always plug just the LED in to make sure they're flashing. I used 100uF on the flashers, and it's more than enough. I found if the LEDs were too bright, and the resistance of the LDR went too low, it sounded swampy and dark, and the oposite happened when they weren't bright enough, it sounded like not much was happening. Fairly low brightness clear red ones were the best in mine. 50KA pots work great, just wire them backwards like in my layout. As for the other transistors, I've used both 2sc1815 and mps5172 with gains around 200, and didn't notice a difference. The volume thing is wierd, there should be a bit more than unity when turned up, the stock ones were almost maxed, but had some more volume. I put my volume on the outside as a pot because you could goose the effect volume if you wanted and get a little grit from the amp if it was turned up.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

I think mine sounds pretty close to your clips. I tried subbing a 2k for the 50k and I got good travel over the whole pot. It was enough to satisfy me.

KindaFuzzy
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by KindaFuzzy »

Cool, whatever works is good. I guess everyone's going to have a slightly different sounding pedal depending on their LED/LDR combo, and might have to play with the flasher circuit.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Okey doke. Here is the the new project document with the PCB artwork and all that stuff.

The Vibrating Stump!

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

KindaFuzzy wrote:No, the base wasn't connected to ground, just the 1k resistor and + end of one of the 2200uf were connected to the base, it looks good otherwise.
ok, I'll fix it tonight. all this for a bunch of shit that's going to get ditched anyway! :roll: :lol: but, I guess we should get it right in case anyone wants to fix their vibrostomp one day... hopefully this will be the last time and we can put this sucker to bed and continue moving ahead with our own tweaks. maybe a new thread is in order?
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

ok, finally- presenting the Austone Vibrostomp.

Vibrating Stump! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
Austone - Vibrostomp
Austone - Vibrostomp
VIBROSTOMPSCH.png (125.62 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

KindaFuzzy
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by KindaFuzzy »

Perfect, that looks great. :thumbsup Now all we need is RG to write a 'technology of the vibrostomp' article and we're set.

jwpartain1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jwpartain1 »

Hey KindaFuzzy, what is Q4 in your vibrato layout you made?

KindaFuzzy
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by KindaFuzzy »

Crap it's not labeled, sorry, 2n5485 or any fet with a DSG pinout.

jwpartain1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jwpartain1 »

So I'm debugging my build, and I've got the speed knob working as well as the volume knob. The funny thing is that I only get the vibe effect when the depth is maxed (or all the way back in the case of this pedal). When I move anywhere down from max, all I get is clean signal + hum. And the hum is always present. I tried flipping the 2.2 uF cap (where I'm using 4.7 uF, because that's what I had), where now negative side is running to Q3. At first I had a lot of hum, now I've got a little. Any ideas where I could start? I'm going through the whole board tomorrow I guess..

By the way, those FET buffers rock. I notice a huge difference in treble / upper-mids response.

KindaFuzzy
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by KindaFuzzy »

jwpartain1 wrote:
By the way, those FET buffers rock. I notice a huge difference in treble / upper-mids response.
Much better eh. The only problems I've had are solder bridges since some of the pads are pretty close together. Or maybe the pinout on the trannies, all the NPNs are EBC and the FETs are all DSG. It looks like your LED is flashing, otherwise you wouldn't get vibrato, maybe your LDR isn't in the right range, I usually measure dark, then stick a 9V battery with a 470R resistor in series and measure the light resistance. Should be 500R-2K on the light side, and over 10M dark.

marccobe
Information

Post by marccobe »

Hi all, sorry for jumping into a thread of 2011 but the link with the pdf of the last layout is dead (obvious). Does anyone still have it?
Thx!!

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

the schematic is missing, too

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Somebody has all the missing files on his hard disk...

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

roseblood11 wrote:Somebody has all the missing files on his hard disk...
Call Dr. Nomis :lol:

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

VIBROSTOMPSCH_v2.png
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...