Lovepedal Silicon Fuzzmaster  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
rmroza
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rmroza »

...ok, I just reviewed as a second set of eyes the PCB layout to schematic. They look good. A couple minor things...the diode D1 is actually D9 on the PCB layout, BOM, and original. Also after R11 on the CB C13 comes first, so on the schematic C5 and C13 would be swapped (not an expert, so no sure if that matters).

The PCB layout may need one amendment, bt it won't affect the schematic or vero here. I just noted that I have R4 to ground before going to the switch, but don't think that is correct. Likewise, not sure why the switch 7 and 8 position go nowhere, so the switch would go to nowhere and no where or switch to nowhere and thru R4 to the the switch! That doesn't make any sense. Pin 8 of the switch probably should go to ground and like I said remove ground from R4 and just flow from the switch and if ground thru the resistor to the LED!

Again, no issues with the schematic or vero layout!

Ok, off to de-populate and make the new board!

Eqinox

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Yes I'd figured there was still an error with the LED in the PCB layout, lug 8 of the switch needs grounding and R4 isn't grounded or the LED will always be on, as per the schematic. The position of C5 and C13 on the schematic don't matter, they're both directly connected to the supply rail and ground.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

rmroza
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rmroza »

Thanks IvIark

Looks like it should be a go then! The parts I ordered should be in tomorrow, so I should be able to slam it together after work! :)

Thanks for everyone's support!

Equinox

rmroza
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rmroza »

@ Nocentelli - Yes, changing bias I think it in the design.

Equinox

rmroza
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rmroza »

Ok, old board de-populated and new board populated with leads. I just need the pots tomorrow. Off to do graphics and get the box ready. Jimi goes on this one fo-sho!
I added the two columns and used the Bourns 3386 trimmers as I said I would. I used all caps and everything as the original as-is. We'll see what happens tomorrow. Enjoy!

Equinox
Attachments
DSC03888.JPG

rmroza
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rmroza »

Good morning!

Did anyone verify this yet??

I slammed it together last night, but it didn't work! I finished late and had to go to sleep, so no time to troubleshoot.
I'm pretty busy until Sunday now, so it will be a few more days on my end.
Let me know. Else, I will have to troubleshoot and desolder the entire board again one last time. I hope it's just a solder bridge or something on my end.

Equinox

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Yes Ravian Arp made one on my blog.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

HHR18
Information

Post by HHR18 »

IvIark wrote:Yes Ravian Arp made one on my blog.
Yep, I did indeed verify it but I build it using the original layout though!

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Oh it's you! [smilie=a_okbyenow.gif] :mrgreen:
Yes but the original layout with that wire link is exactly the same as the new layout, so I'm comfortable enough that if one works the other will. Equinox, post a higher res front and back pic of the board just so you can get a few extra sets of eyes looking at it for you.

rmroza
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rmroza »

Cool. Glad it worked and it verified! What do you think?? I like it!
Yeah, it's probably just a solder bridge or something, but let me take it apart and if needed post pic(s).

EQ

rmroza
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rmroza »

VERIFIED!

I had the 470R is r.2 going from Row A to Row E instead of Row D. My bad

Works perfectly. Sounds great an is quiet! :-)

Equinox

Yonatan
Information

Post by Yonatan »

Just got it working on a breadboard. I didn't get to play around with it too much yet, but sounds very nice. I haven't built any FF type circuit before, but wow is this touch sensitive!

At first I left out the 220uF filter cap, because I didn't have one. Big Huge Mistake! The thing non-stop howled and oscillated like crazy! I thought this cap was only needed for noisy power supplies or something, but then I started searching for info and realized it has something to do with getting certain negative ground PNP circuits to avoid this behaviour.

One question: How subtle, or not, should the blend pot be? And should it be noticeable mainly at higher gain settings?

rmroza
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rmroza »

yes, the blend knob is noticable at high gains. it shifts and changes the tone and bias i believe!

EQ

Yonatan
Information

Post by Yonatan »

Thanks, I have the Blend control working nicely. Now I just need to get a reverse log pot for the Drive control. I only have a Linear pot for now, and it doesn't do anything until the end of its range. Or maybe it's time to finally read the geofx article that talks about tapering resistors.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Yonatan wrote:Or maybe it's time to finally read the geofx article that talks about tapering resistors.
Definitely worth a read, but in a nutshell, I think you could get a decent reverse log 1k drive pot using a 5k linear pot with lug three connected as per the schem, lug 2 via a 1k2 to ground, and lug 1 to ground.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Yonatan
Information

Post by Yonatan »

This is still sitting on my breadboard, and I noticed that the different versions of the schematic seem very different around the path to V+ from the emitter of the 2nd transistor.

Can anyone explain the difference between them?

The original schematic posted (no revision marked on it) looks like a typical fuzz face circuit:
a.gif
a.gif (3.2 KiB) Viewed 2593 times
The last one posted (marked revision 3) looks different. The cap is in series with pot, and there are resistors in parallel with cap/pot:
b.gif
b.gif (3.15 KiB) Viewed 2593 times

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

The first one is identical to a standard fuzzface (DC bias fixed, AC bias variable between an effective 1k and zero k), the second gives a DC bias variable from 1k5 to 1k and an AC bias of 500ohms to zero ohms.... I think.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Yonatan
Information

Post by Yonatan »

rmroza wrote: Q1:
1 - 1.46V
2 - 6.62v
3 - 7.24V

Q2:
1 - 6.62V
2 - 7.48V
3 - 7.93V
Still have this on the breadboard. I want to perf it, but one thing is bothering me. Instead of 1.46V, I'm seeing a few volts (can't remember, 3 or 4 I think). Any idea why? I built to schematic except that I used BC212 instead of 2N3906. The circuit sounds fine to me, though I don't have anything to compare it with.

Nacho5
Information

Post by Nacho5 »

Guys! Someone used GE PNP? I build this pedal with Silicon bit i hace some GE transistor to try

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Yes give it a go, it'll be interesting to hear what you think of the results