Zvex - Fuzz Factory  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Fiktschn
Information

Post by Fiktschn »

Fiktschn wrote:Hi i've built a FF from the schematic of the french site today and used a medium gain set of ac128 from banzai. The circuit is up and running but i can't really get a fuzz sound without too much octaves :/ Its more a octaver than a fuzz at the moment. Does anybody have a clue what the problem could be?
Problem solved im so dumb was a simple mass problem ^^

Beedoola
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Beedoola »

Are the pots facing up or down in the verolayout? i.e. when looking at the diagram are you looking at the back of the pots or the top? Are the terminals (left to right) 3,2,1 or 1,2,3 (if pot is facing up)

So if this is obvious questiong but if they as normally depicted then everything would be out of wack when put in an enclosure (backwards)

Beedoola
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Beedoola »

I got the Fuzz Face PNP pair from small bear. One was in a bag that said "90" with "8452" written on it, the other was in a bag that said "153" with "7402" on it, both are the 2N404A what does that mean, where should I put them in the vero layout? I have 153 on the Right side and the 90 on the left.

The pedal works just not sure if it is at 100%. Sorry if this stuff is redundant, I'm a noob. Thanks

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: ‘65 Twin Reverb
Completed builds: Fuzz & Preamps mostly.

Post by bumblebee »

Beedoola wrote:I got the Fuzz Face PNP pair from small bear. One was in a bag that said "90" with "8452" written on it, the other was in a bag that said "153" with "7402" on it, both are the 2N404A what does that mean, where should I put them in the vero layout? I have 153 on the Right side and the 90 on the left.

The pedal works just not sure if it is at 100%. Sorry if this stuff is redundant, I'm a noob. Thanks
the one with 90 will be the second transistor in the layout,the first germanium or "metal" transistor on the layout.
the one with "153" will be the last transistor on the layout.
so youl go black plastic transistor then the "90" then the "153" in that order.
I so dislike the modern digital world that I need to use semi-digital effects to emulate the analog world of cassette, VHS, and vinyl.

teleman
Information

Post by teleman »

I'm having trouble with my vero fuzz factory build. It passes signal but basically has no output or fuzz. I have to turn my map up all the way to be able to hear it. I am using small bear matched transistors. I have another set that I know works. I tried them and the same thing happens. I have checked the layout and it seems that I have all the necessary trace cuts and proper electrolytic orientation. I don't have any of the switching wired up yet, just the board, pots, jacks, and battery. Help!

paperhouse
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by paperhouse »

teleman wrote:I'm having trouble with my vero fuzz factory build. It passes signal but basically has no output or fuzz. I have to turn my map up all the way to be able to hear it. I am using small bear matched transistors. I have another set that I know works. I tried them and the same thing happens. I have checked the layout and it seems that I have all the necessary trace cuts and proper electrolytic orientation. I don't have any of the switching wired up yet, just the board, pots, jacks, and battery. Help!

try lowering your guitar's volume just slightly. i kept trying to debug mine but it turns out that mine just doesn't work unless the guitar's volume is lowered.

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

paperhouse wrote:
teleman wrote:I'm having trouble with my vero fuzz factory build. It passes signal but basically has no output or fuzz. I have to turn my map up all the way to be able to hear it. I am using small bear matched transistors. I have another set that I know works. I tried them and the same thing happens. I have checked the layout and it seems that I have all the necessary trace cuts and proper electrolytic orientation. I don't have any of the switching wired up yet, just the board, pots, jacks, and battery. Help!

try lowering your guitar's volume just slightly. i kept trying to debug mine but it turns out that mine just doesn't work unless the guitar's volume is lowered.
If this is the case, why not just put a resistor inseries with the input so as to emulate this?

teleman
Information

Post by teleman »

I tried that and nothing happened other than the volume decreasing. I really don't know what I've done wrong. I've checked my layout many times and it seems that everything is correct. It passes a little signal so guess that's promising.

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by bumblebee »

if you need your volume lowered for it to work its not right and something is very wrong with it.
I so dislike the modern digital world that I need to use semi-digital effects to emulate the analog world of cassette, VHS, and vinyl.

paperhouse
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by paperhouse »

bumblebee wrote:if you need your volume lowered for it to work its not right and something is very wrong with it.
it sounds weak unless the volume on my guitar is slightly lowered. it sounds like a fuzz factory though. i'm going to solder a resistor to the input when i get a chance.

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by bumblebee »

doing that wont fix the problem that it has tho.
somethings not right with it as a fuzz factory sounds its strongest with everything on full.
re-trace all your work and find the problem.

Beedoola
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Beedoola »

what difference will the All American Fuzz Face transistors I used compare to the AC 128s? What are some other transistors I should check out to compare?

pandadandan
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pandadandan »

Beedoola wrote:what difference will the All American Fuzz Face transistors I used compare to the AC 128s? What are some other transistors I should check out to compare?
I used 2sa18's. Or 2sc17's. I forget... :scratch:

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by bumblebee »

vex himself used to use AC128's.

he claims he has "special NOS transistors unavailable to anyone but me" but the fact is he uses what he can buy, all common low gain germanium.

use what you can get.

nokaster
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by nokaster »

bumblebee wrote:vex himself used to use AC128's.

he claims he has "special NOS transistors unavailable to anyone but me" but the fact is he uses what he can buy, all common low gain germanium.

use what you can get.

or use low gain PNP silicons... they do work!

paperhouse
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by paperhouse »

nokaster wrote:

use what you can get.

yeah, that's what i ended up using. i preferred the sound over AC128's :thumbsup

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by bumblebee »

i have a zvex fuzz factory and i ripped out the stock trannies and put some nos mullard AC128's in it,sounds better imo. i didnt much like it before that, its totally voiced different now.

Beedoola
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Beedoola »

where can I get those transistors bumblebee? How much different will they sound from the ones i have in there now? There currently isn't much gain right now...

Beedoola
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Beedoola »

The Gate on my FF clone seems to stop signal after 12 o'clock, is is supposed to be like that? the All American Transistors seem to be lower gain than the FF clips I've heard - I didn't use the AC 128, will put different transistors in the FF make it more versatile/ give it more gain?

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

paperhouse wrote:
nokaster wrote:

use what you can get.

yeah, that's what i ended up using. i preferred the sound over AC128's :thumbsup
yup. It's a nice mod, it sounds more "focused" with the silicons in there. A little more modern. Maybe a switch to change between silicon and germanium is needed :horsey:

I am Klon.