Dumbloid  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
box
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by box »

andregarcia57 wrote:
box wrote:
andregarcia57 wrote:
johnk wrote:well, i'm really happy with the MC33172N and I tried a couple of 4458's (RC4458P, JRC4558D) and they had fizzy decays too. a JRC4562D sounded a bit better than the OPA2134 to me but still was a bit fizzy.
the TLC2262 is one that I didn't happen to try since the MC33172 sounded so good, but I might try that one too just for fun.
I know do that TL062's, TL072's, TL082's, 4459's, 4580's, OPA2604, LM1458, HA17458, LM258, LM348N, LM358N, NE5532, LF442 and LM883's didn't work very well in it.

I've read that the MC33172 is basically a dual 741 so that's probably why it works so well in this circuit.

hello ... where can I find MC33172N with good price and original.

no difference MC33172N and MC33172P, MC33172PG ?
Hi,
Please check here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MC33172N-Dual- ... _56wt_1105

Rgds,
box

Does not ship to Brazil!
:cry:

exists between different ICs?
MC33172N and MC33172P, MC33172PG
Hi,
you can use :
http://www.viabox.com
Just follow instruction and registration , US address box it's free.
You can pay via PayPal for shipping to your country.
It is nice service.
Rgds,
box

Ripdivot
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ripdivot »

Hi Amplifiednation, what IC are you using in your clones, people seem to be happy with them?

amplifiednation
Information

Post by amplifiednation »

The OPA2134PA...same deal as the original.

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

FYI, a bunch of people have contacted me about the PCBs. The small prototype run will be at my door next Thursday, I think, and I'll build them up over the weekend. I'll post here when I get ready to place a bigger order. Not taking any money right now.

amplifiednation
Information

Wow that's a lot of people who are interested in building "just a tubescreamer". That's strange :secret:

pamaz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pamaz »

Sorry, Amplifiednation but I have not a single problem in building another modded tube screamer. I have problems in paying it a fortune.
And sorry once again, but being like you , a person that has made a living for the last years doing things related to stomps , amps etc. you, just like me, have raised some money copying something. We don't have to criticize, but just to thank the people that trusted us up to this moment.
There is nothing wrong in copying something until is not a steal. The problem is hiding the truth. And I'm not referring to you. Think about the jan ray and other dozen of manufacturers..........

amplifiednation
Information

I hope you guys build it and enjoy it. It's a fun build and I think the pedal sounds cool.

1oldsidewinder
Information

Post by 1oldsidewinder »

As an experiment, I pulled the clipping diodes from a modded SD-1 last night and have to agree with skywise that, along with the gain mods, this simple change gets you most of the way there. My SD-1 is based on analogguru's CJOD mod but uses a ZD style tone control in place of the CJOD's TS-like arrangement. Op-amp is an OPA2134. With the diodes pulled, it's noticably smoother than a Dumbloid, without the metallic edge some complain about. I know it could be taken further in the direction of a clone but for now I'll leave it as is. I think I prefer it.

One change I'd like to pass on would be to try a 50k level pot. You'll be able to use more of the pot's rotation and it's a lot less touchy.

pedalfreakFX
Information

Post by pedalfreakFX »

Any suggestion on this problem?

I just finished building the "Special" version, from Tagboardeffects. When the pedal is turned on the gain is acting as a swell. It'll swell up and then down. Any suggestions on what to look for when trouble shooting?

Thanks in advance!

1oldsidewinder
Information

Post by 1oldsidewinder »

Have you checked the orientation of the tantalum caps, electrolytic caps, and the 3mm LED?

pedalfreakFX
Information

Post by pedalfreakFX »

1oldsidewinder wrote:Have you checked the orientation of the tantalum caps, electrolytic caps, and the 3mm LED?
That may be a problem. I didn't see where there were tantalum caps. Where were they at? I've got the electro & LED right.

Thanks

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

FYI, PCB is verified. Having some issues with the computer that the board design is on, so it'll probably be a few days before I can order. If you're interested, send me an e-mail at my username @gmail.com with how many you want and your PP address so I can make a spreadsheet and invoice you when they arrive. Gonna limit it to 3 per person for now, and obviously no commercial use is allowed.

reddo
Information

Post by reddo »

mmolteratx wrote:
pappasmurfsharem wrote:
mmolteratx wrote:Did up a PCB since a buddy wants one. Once it's verified, I could do a small run. Price would be $5 plus shipping.
Those switch holes big enough? Or is the expectation to use PCB mount SPDT?
PC mount. And a specific type at that. http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CK- ... kyBbrr0%3d
That link is to a on-off-on solder lug switch. Is there another link?

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

Oops. The one you want for this is the T101 (On-None-On), not the T103 (On-Off-On) I listed. Picked the wrong bookmark. Not at a PC where I can grab the link right now, but you can search it easily enough. PC mount version is the one you want. I'll link later.

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

Mmmh... On-(None)-On and On-On are the same thing? :scratch:

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

Yes.

Fastocker
Information

Post by Fastocker »

Threw one together over the weekend using IvIark's layout -- pretty decent but certainly not worthy of all the fuss IMO. I also liked the MC33172N opamp better than the OPA2134 but might still try some others -- too bad you can't do that on the gooped ones, hehehe. I used an A50K for the volume (smoother taper, better adjustability at lower volume levels) and an A25K for the tone pot. The linear tone pot was too touchy, especially in the rock mode . . . much gentler sweep with the audio taper pot.

Did this one in illusion violet (dormant) powder coating with flat clear to give it an anodized look. Aluminum face plate is chrome powdercoating:

ipm
Information

Post by ipm »

Beautiful! Sell it to me?

GeSi
Information

Post by GeSi »

looks real nice!
but most important... how does it sound ;)

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

GeSi wrote:looks real nice!
but most important... how does it sound ;)
Fastocker wrote: certainly not worthy of all the fuss IMO
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...