Dumbloid  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.

Re: Dumbloid

Postby tonecat » 17 Nov 2013, 13:07

Is this a joke or the real thing?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For this message the author tonecat has received thanks:
Manfred (18 Nov 2013, 11:09)
tonecat

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby box » 17 Nov 2013, 13:14

tonecat wrote:Is this a joke or the real thing?

Nobody knows only one solution to ask guy from this forum.
Looks like Z*ndrive(1:1).
box
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 34 times

Postby tonecat » 17 Nov 2013, 13:34

This is a joke ! as I just searched Zendrive Vero board and this clown has photo-shopped a Dumbloid label maker label on a Zendrive layout
This is where he found the Zen layout http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KT-lNZSXQKA/U ... ndrive.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For this message the author tonecat has received thanks: 2
Manfred (18 Nov 2013, 11:09), rgj51876 (18 Nov 2013, 02:42)
tonecat

Postby Nocentelli » 17 Nov 2013, 13:51

Stellablue wrote:I think whomever we send this to should agree to producing some for the supporters. I think I could make one with the schematic and a parts list, but would rather have someone with more experience bulls me one.

I think you new guys somehow miss the point of FREEstompboxes. The tracers fund was a way of group buying an expensive pedal on the open market, tracing the circuit for the good of the whole forum, then selling it on again with all proceeds going back into the tracer's fund towards the next trace.

If you're saying whoever traces it has to build you a clone, you need to say up front what you are willing to pay the tracer/cloner a) for their all their time to take it apart very carefully, pick off all that goop, accurately trace it, carefully put it back together so it definitely works as before, and draw up an accurate and neat schematic b) for the time involved in turning that schematic into a working layout, or carefully copying the layout of the original pedal and making a pcb c) for all the parts needed to make an accurate clone d) for the time needed to construct you a clone from those parts.

Once you take all that into account, the $525 doesn't seem that steep.
brownwhopping wrote:How can I learn by reading threads an making circuits, when some day I can see a lawsuit or somebody beat me in the face for that?

For this message the author Nocentelli has received thanks: 2
fanela (26 Jan 2014, 21:39), rocklander (20 Nov 2013, 20:51)
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 871 times

Postby tonecat » 17 Nov 2013, 14:04

Nocentelli wrote:
Stellablue wrote:I think whomever we send this to should agree to producing some for the supporters. I think I could make one with the schematic and a parts list, but would rather have someone with more experience bulls me one.

I think you new guys somehow miss the point of FREEstompboxes. The tracers fund was a way of group buying an expensive pedal on the open market, tracing the circuit for the good of the whole forum, then selling it on again with all proceeds going back into the tracer's fund towards the next trace.

If you're saying whoever traces it has to build you a clone, you need to say up front what you are willing to pay the tracer/cloner a) for their all their time to take it apart very carefully, pick off all that goop, accurately trace it, carefully put it back together so it definitely works as before, and draw up an accurate and neat schematic b) for the time involved in turning that schematic into a working layout, or carefully copying the layout of the original pedal and making a pcb c) for all the parts needed to make an accurate clone d) for the time needed to construct you a clone from those parts.

I would contribute $50 to a tracers fund with no expectation of anything more than seeing an accurate schematic and parts list. Once these are available there will be no problem gettind an affordable build as the component costs are very minimal
tonecat

Postby aionios » 17 Nov 2013, 14:21

Nocentelli wrote:If you're saying whoever traces it has to build you a clone, you need to say up front what you are willing to pay the tracer/cloner a) for their all their time to take it apart very carefully, pick off all that goop, accurately trace it, carefully put it back together so it definitely works as before, and draw up an accurate and neat schematic b) for the time involved in turning that schematic into a working layout, or carefully copying the layout of the original pedal and making a pcb c) for all the parts needed to make an accurate clone d) for the time needed to construct you a clone from those parts.

I got the impression that most of the people were intending to pay additional for the pedal itself... in other words, they're just saying that the trace won't do them much good if no one makes any for them to buy as a result. But yeah, hopefully no one expects to get a $600 pedal for less than the price of a BOSS.

I'd be up for doing a small run, maybe 10 or so depending on what the demand is like. There's about a zero percent chance that this is a fully original circuit, so I doubt we'll be ripping anyone off.
Aion Electronics - DIY PCB projects for classic and obscure circuits

For this message the author aionios has received thanks: 3
bloomz (17 Nov 2013, 17:47), rgj51876 (18 Nov 2013, 02:43), tonecat (17 Nov 2013, 15:06)
aionios
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 152 times

Postby Nocentelli » 17 Nov 2013, 15:21

tonecat wrote:I would contribute $50 to a tracers fund with no expectation of anything more than seeing an accurate schematic and parts list. Once these are available there will be no problem gettind an affordable build as the component costs are very minimal

That's how it works.

Once you start trying to tie getting a clone made to the actual tracing, you get bogged down in how much individuals are willing to pay for what may well be five parts away from a straight clone of a Timmy/OCD/Fulldrive/Zendrive/Ecstasy/bufferless TS808/insert your favourite opamp+clipper circuit.

The group buy works fast if people just accept their contribution makes the schematic appear x dollars quicker than if they hadn't contributed. If there is anything remotely interesting or novel going on under the goop, JHS, lovepedal, and a thousand overseas smd factories will be knocking them out for FAR cheaper very soon. If, as is far more likely, it turns out to be a variation on one of the afformentioned opampclippers, maybe you'll chip in $5 or $10 just to see another one of these debunked.
brownwhopping wrote:How can I learn by reading threads an making circuits, when some day I can see a lawsuit or somebody beat me in the face for that?

For this message the author Nocentelli has received thanks:
bloomz (17 Nov 2013, 17:47)
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 871 times

Postby bootle » 17 Nov 2013, 15:56

an Overpriced OD?
gooped?
sounds like a Dumble? :whappen:
raving about it at TGP?

It has to be some elaborate FSB prank surely? :lol:
The Dumbloid thread on TGP is hilarious, some truly idiotic comments on there. There's gonna be some egg on faces when this turns out to be some Zendrive rip-off.
bootle
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 19 times

Postby biliousfrog » 17 Nov 2013, 17:22

tonecat wrote:Is this a joke or the real thing?

I find it hilarious that nobody questioned the IC's made by leprechauns, Q1&Q2 delivered by the easter bunny and diodes made from bengal tiger claws :slap:
biliousfrog
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby bloomz » 17 Nov 2013, 17:42

Nocentelli wrote:

Thank you - count me as one who did not know "how it works" up in here. I'll throw $50 into the fund with no expectations other than hoping it won't be too difficult to find someone to clone it reasonably. (Still want to own one of course - but we can likely find someone to build it given the schematic)

I'll even start it - tell me please who to paypal the money to and I'll do it today.

I don't care what it turns out to be - Zen, Schmen - I just want one.

So tonecat and me are in - who else?
bloomz

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby 1oldsidewinder » 17 Nov 2013, 19:26

If one of you Dumbloid owners could provide the values of the pots (100k, 500k, etc) , it might provide a clue to it's origins and get the ball rolling. They're probably printed on the top side which would involve removing the knobs and unbolting them from the enclosure, enabling you to carefully take a look.
1oldsidewinder

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby rgj51876 » 17 Nov 2013, 21:33

box wrote:
nudefish11 wrote:Alright lwts get this going... We have a dumbloid and we have 100 bucks.... Who is thr person to do this and get this going?

Hi,
Check this link before you spend your money:
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/43 ... oid-2.html
You can try to assy and check if this is the same.
Rgds,
box

I can assure you that this IS NOT A ZENDRIVE! !
Bloomz can attest to this as well. Take the advise of those of us that have the Dumbloid. Is it a variation of the Zen? Possible yes. But it is much different sounding. The harmonic content is off the chart good.

For this message the author rgj51876 has received thanks:
bloomz (18 Nov 2013, 16:08)
rgj51876

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby roseblood11 » 18 Nov 2013, 00:17

Sounds definitely similar to the Zendrive.
Maybe a bit better dynamics, a bit more bass, a bit less max distortion, better overtones.

I`d take a zendrive circuit and turn the Mosfets around - even Hermida must admit that he simply did it wrong.
I use the same kind of clipping configuration in the latest version of my "Rose Screamer", with a switch that can change the orientation of the mosfets. It's a really useful modification to the zendrive, but it's worth 60 cents, not 600 dollars.

Btw: Someone posted a layout for the zendrive on that kind of radio shack board a few years ago...
roseblood11
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 326 times

Postby CodeMonk » 18 Nov 2013, 11:47

rgj51876 wrote:
box wrote:
nudefish11 wrote:Alright lwts get this going... We have a dumbloid and we have 100 bucks.... Who is thr person to do this and get this going?

Hi,
Check this link before you spend your money:
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/43 ... oid-2.html
You can try to assy and check if this is the same.
Rgds,
box

I can assure you that this IS NOT A ZENDRIVE! !
Bloomz can attest to this as well. Take the advise of those of us that have the Dumbloid. Is it a variation of the Zen? Possible yes. But it is much different sounding. The harmonic content is off the chart good.

You would be surprised how few parts would need to be changed/added/removed to completely change the character of ANY pedal, particularly a dirt pedal.
CodeMonk
Degoop Doctor

Have thanks: 56 times

Postby nudefish11 » 18 Nov 2013, 12:25

I'm in.

For this message the author nudefish11 has received thanks:
bloomz (18 Nov 2013, 16:06)
nudefish11

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby roseblood11 » 18 Nov 2013, 12:46

This is so ridiculous. TGP muppets, you are in the wrong place!
roseblood11
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 326 times

Postby tonecat » 18 Nov 2013, 14:45

roseblood11 wrote:This is so ridiculous. TGP muppets, you are in the wrong place!

Wrong ! This TGP'er is staying here till we get this done .
tonecat

Postby bloomz » 18 Nov 2013, 16:05

roseblood11 wrote:This is so ridiculous. TGP muppets, you are in the wrong place!

Ridiculous? Why?

Isn't this pretty much what this forum is about?

Obviously you haven't heard this pedal - another contempt prior to investigation case..... :applause:
bloomz

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby jupagblkxten » 18 Nov 2013, 16:31

tonecat wrote:

Wrong ! This TGP'er is staying here till we get this done .

:lol: enjoy your wait.
jupagblkxten
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby skywise » 18 Nov 2013, 17:37

My goodness. Things certainly have turned around at TGP over the last couple years. I see it as a positive change. :thumbsup :horsey:

A good place to start would be for one of you Dumbloid owners to pull the board/pots out of the box and post photos of the bottom of the board and post the potentiometer values. :secret:
skywise
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 20 times

PreviousNext

Return to Boutique Stompboxes dissected...