Greer Lightspeed

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
vtguedes
Information

Post by vtguedes »

FeVeR2112 wrote:I built it but have a squeal happening when drive and loudness reach a certain point in relation to each other - i.e.: when the drive is full up, the loudness will cause squeal when about half way. the same happens when the drive is lower but the loudness is higher. Anyone else encounter this?
Did you use my layout? I had no noise issues and let's say my build wasn't the cleanest one, a lot of wires all over the place and still noise floor is quite low.

HamishR wrote:While I'm not a huge fan of the Timmy it's still a beloved pedal of many for good reason. The Lightspeed seems to be a way of taking a revered pedal and making it less useful. I built one to see what the fuss was about and found it altogether underwhelming. I'd take a Timmy over the Lightspeed any day.
You are absolutely right in my opinion. I think the changes made in the lightspeed is just a way to hide the clone it is in the first place just to justify the price for a "boutique" pedal (much like happens with the Jann Ray). That said, I like the assymetrical clipping option with 3 and 2 diodes.

HamishR
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by HamishR »

I don't mind the asymmetrical clipping but tried it with 2 x 1N4001s and 2 x 1N4148s (one of each on each side) and liked it better.

syamilaliff
Information

Post by syamilaliff »

FeVeR2112 wrote:I built it but have a squeal happening when drive and loudness reach a certain point in relation to each other - i.e.: when the drive is full up, the loudness will cause squeal when about half way. the same happens when the drive is lower but the loudness is higher. Anyone else encounter this?
Yes, I'm having the same problem

FeVeR2112
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by FeVeR2112 »

syamilaliff wrote:Yes, I'm having the same problem
did you use a Vero layout, pcb or bought a board?

syamilaliff
Information

Post by syamilaliff »

FeVeR2112 wrote:
syamilaliff wrote:Yes, I'm having the same problem
did you use a Vero layout, pcb or bought a board?
I'm using an etched pcb from this http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2019 ... speed.html

FeVeR2112
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by FeVeR2112 »

syamilaliff wrote:I'm using an etched pcb from this http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2019 ... speed.html
Storyboardist used the PedalPCB schematic to create that layout - I also used the schematic for mine. I wonder if there is something awry in that schematic that is causing the same problem for both our builds.

vtguedes
Information

Post by vtguedes »

I made my vero layout using the same schematic and didn't have any noise problems with neither TL072 or 4558.