Crazy Tubes - Ziggy Overdrive  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

ziotasgiorgos did an excellent job documenting a Crazytubes Ziggy overdrive circuit, seems to be based on a neve console input channel (ahem) x 3
Zod_nocentelli_schem.png
...but I'm not totally finished, as I can't reconcile what the pictures seem to show with how the gain pot supposedly operates.
nocentelli wrote:
ziotasgiorgos wrote: The gain knob behaves weird. It's not exactly a "gain" knob. It's a "voicing" knob.

Fully CCW it sounds like a distorted VOX and fully CW like a Distorted Marshall. There is no 0 setting!!!
Very interesting: The gain pot lug one appears (in the googledrive diagram2) to be wired directly to ground, which should short the input to Q2 to ground and give silence (which is why I asked if gain on zero muted it). The best way to replicate what you describe is simply to lift lug 1 of the gain pot from ground, which actually sounds very nice.
Please have a look at the circuit portion between Q1-gain pot-Q2 in these excellent pics, diagrams and parts list to see what you think -

Thread started here over at tagboardfx -

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/p/forum.html?m=0

Also, the version documented is clearly different to the version being so ably demonstrated since there doesn't appear to be a gain switch.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

Don't seem to have permission to open pictures on the Google drive.

The gain pot appears to be a standard gain pot with treble bypass, maybe he means the tone pot!
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Diagram 2.jpg
Capacitor and resistor numbering is for reference only
---------------------------------------------------------

Q1, Q2, Q3 = BS170 fairchild

D1= 1N4007
D2= BZX 55C (9v1 zener?)
D3= BZX 55C (9v1 zener?)

R1= 130R (i think 1M)
R2= 100R
R3= 330R
R4= 240R
R5= 47R
R6= 1M
R7= 1M
R8= 15K
R9= 13K
R10= 4.7K
R11= 470K
R12= 10K
R13= 240R
R14= 1M
R15= 1M
R16= 1M
R17= 470R
R18= 4.7K
R19= 33R
R20= 22K
R21= 3.9K
R22= 1M
R23= 47R

C1= 100nF 63V (WIMA polyester)
C2= 47pF (multilayer monolithic)
C3= 100nf (ceramic)
C4= 3.3nF 100V (WIMA polyester)
C5= 2.2nF 100V (WIMA polyester)
C6= 15nF 63V (WIMA polyester)
C7= 10nF 63V (WIMA polyester)
C8= 22nF 63V (WIMA polyester) - (i think smaller, maybe 220p or 2n2)
C9= 680pF 630V (WIMA 680/630)
C10= 100nF 63V (WIMA polyester)
C11= 47nF 63V (WIMA polyester)
C12= 470nF 63V (WIMA polyester)
C13= 220uF 25V (electrolytic)
C14= 100uF 25V (electrolytic)
C15= 100uF 25V (electrolytic)

X1= Input Jack (tip)
X2= Input Jack (ring)
X3= Output Jack (tip)
X4= Ground
X5= 9V
X6= Ground

POT1= GAIN = A500K
POT2= TONE = A100K
POT3= VOLUME = A100K
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

deltafred wrote:Don't seem to have permission to open pictures on the Google drive.
Don't try to open the files, just click on the download button - to download the zip file.

ziotasgiorgos
Information

Post by ziotasgiorgos »

deltafred wrote:Don't seem to have permission to open pictures on the Google drive.

The gain pot appears to be a standard gain pot with treble bypass, maybe he means the tone pot!
No my friend. I mean the gain knob. Check this out:

ziotasgiorgos
Information

Post by ziotasgiorgos »

Nocentelli wrote:ziotasgiorgos did an excellent job documenting a Crazytubes Ziggy overdrive circuit, seems to be based on a neve console input channel (ahem) x 3
Zod_nocentelli_schem.png
...but I'm not totally finished, as I can't reconcile what the pictures seem to show with how the gain pot supposedly operates.
nocentelli wrote:
ziotasgiorgos wrote: The gain knob behaves weird. It's not exactly a "gain" knob. It's a "voicing" knob.

Fully CCW it sounds like a distorted VOX and fully CW like a Distorted Marshall. There is no 0 setting!!!
Very interesting: The gain pot lug one appears (in the googledrive diagram2) to be wired directly to ground, which should short the input to Q2 to ground and give silence (which is why I asked if gain on zero muted it). The best way to replicate what you describe is simply to lift lug 1 of the gain pot from ground, which actually sounds very nice.
Please have a look at the circuit portion between Q1-gain pot-Q2 in these excellent pics, diagrams and parts list to see what you think -

Thread started here over at tagboardfx -

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/p/forum.html?m=0

Also, the version documented is clearly different to the version being so ably demonstrated since there doesn't appear to be a gain switch.
Both versions have the switch and in both versions the switch is internal. The switch is a "more" switch. Nothing special really.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Ah, ok. I assumed from diagram2 it was external. I still can't fathom how the gain pot doesn't mute the signal, since lug 1 of pot 1 is clearly soldered to the ground trace....

ziotasgiorgos
Information

Post by ziotasgiorgos »

Nocentelli wrote:Ah, ok. I assumed from diagram2 it was external. I still can't fathom how the gain pot doesn't mute the signal, since lug 1 of pot 1 is clearly soldered to the ground trace....
It does mute the signal after all. Check the other forum. I made a new post there with a lot of info.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

Looking at the schematic posted a the top of the thread, the first zenner has a mistake in the connection.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

ziotasgiorgos
Information

Post by ziotasgiorgos »

Ice-9 wrote:Looking at the schematic posted a the top of the thread, the first zenner has a mistake in the connection.
A few more details please?

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Updated with Q1 zener correction and confirmed values from ziotasgiorgos:
Zod_nocentelli_schem.png

ziotasgiorgos
Information

Post by ziotasgiorgos »

Corrected a capacitor value (200u to 220u)
Attachments
Zod_nocentelli_schem corrected.png

albru80
Information

Post by albru80 »

The 1M resistor connects between G and D of Q1, correct?

albru80
Information

Post by albru80 »

Is the cap from Tone 2,3 22n or 15n (as written in the BOM)?

albru80
Information

Post by albru80 »

This should be correct:
Attachments
Ziggy O.D.png

reneshelle
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by reneshelle »

I bought some cheap 2cm*8cm double-sided protoboard/perfboard on Ebay and wanted to make a layout. The goal was to have no jumper-links, no "standing" resistors and naturally to make it fit the small board. I didn't completely reach my goal with the standing resistors, but that is where my newly bought smd resistors will come in handy :wink:

At this moment I have not build it because I have not received the boards from China yet. I have checked the layout two times, so it should be good to go. Once build I will verify the layout...
Ziggy perfboard.PNG

Jeffology
Information

Post by Jeffology »

The last layout is fine but - q2 and q3 should be reversed