Keeley - Katana

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
JimiB
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: AC30

Post by JimiB »

All I can say is when I played with a Katana I loved it as a booster but thought it sounded like total shit when I pulled the knob out - sounded kinda like what you describe - mushy and crappy.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

OverDriveManiac wrote:Can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance.

OverDriveManiac
try lowering the value of the bypass cap so that not as much low end is passed. try anything up to even .01uF. this will boost more mid/hi content than lows.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

MillsApparatus
Information

Post by MillsApparatus »

Is it alright if I threadjack briefly to ask what the general opinion of the Katana is among people who own it? I know it's pretty well liked in a decidedly "mojo" way, but the push-pull knob thing seems really poorly thought out and I don't know much about boosts. So is there any short answer as to what (if anything) recommends the Keeley boost over any other, simpler DIY project on this board?

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

disregard this post.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

nonameputs
Information

Post by nonameputs »

Any more news from anyone?

Crimson
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Crimson »

Just an electrical question...Can i change the max1044 with the ICL7660?
I see their datasheets and they seems very similar...
Thanks a lot!

Crim

mrhenry
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: soniccord toad, tweed bandmaster, JTM45

Post by mrhenry »

hey crim,

you might want to take a look at the Sagitarian Charger (Klon Clone) threads since there have been some folks who have suggested that there might be issues between the two with power consumption--one guy said his Klon Klone had difficulties with the substitution since it would cease to work when the battery voltage hit the mid 7s and with the MAX1044 was still operational well into the 6.5v range. in any case, don't know if there is much to it, but something to consider.

-mrhenry

Crimson
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Crimson »

Just another question on the Voltage doubler of the Katana: i've built it, i works, but i have only 16.3 volts from the circuit.
I've tried it with a fixed power supply ( 1A @ 9V) and the 9V are about 9,0-9.1 but the final voltage is still 16.3V.
Is it normal? Or should it 18V?
I used 2N4007 instead of 2N4001 diode, and two 1N914...

I've already built a "test Katana sample" and I was powering it using a fixed 18V power supply (without the voltage doubler circuit) and it sounded clearer and less distorted than the one with the Max1044 voltage doubler...

Thanks in advantage for your help,

Crim

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

The lower voltage is from the diodes dropping the voltage. If you use a hot carrier diode like a 1N5819, you should get closer to 18v.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Crimson
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Crimson »

soulsonic wrote:The lower voltage is from the diodes dropping the voltage. If you use a hot carrier diode like a 1N5819, you should get closer to 18v.
Ok, so you confirm the problem are the two 1N914...and if remove them? I should have no voltage drop...is it dangerous for the boost circuit?
Thanks a lot

Crim

Crimson
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Crimson »

Another question: trannies are tested and matched, or do they have a specific HFE? (maybe the first one with lower hfe then the second...)?
Thanks again!

@soulsonic: i change the 1n914 with the 1n5819 you suggest..Perfect :wink:

ryanuk
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by ryanuk »

Crimson

Did you ever finish your Katana build??

Can you comment on the sounds?

Others in this thread dont seem to have been impressed with the katana when the boost knob is pulled out.

I'll double check the schematics/pics to make sure its correct.

Your thoughts people??

Crimson
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Crimson »

ryanuk wrote:Crimson

Did you ever finish your Katana build??

Can you comment on the sounds?

Others in this thread dont seem to have been impressed with the katana when the boost knob is pulled out.

I'll double check the schematics/pics to make sure its correct.

Your thoughts people??
Yes i finished it long time ago!
I've made some small tests and some changes....
I didn't like very much the "stock keeley katana"...I find that it's better working at higher voltage than 16V, because on the first sample i built i was suppling it directly from a +18V power supply, and it was sounding a little better than the stock (that is supplied at about 16V).
So i was wondering to use +24 or more and see (hear) what's happen...
As i said i made some small changes on keeley's project.As soulsonic suggest i change diodes, from 1N914 to 1N5419, than i change R3 from 680ohms to 1K, removed C11 and for sure remove the switch.I always use it without C3 and C4.I tried with both those caps but the sound was a little bit distorted, always dirty, but not a good way...I can't explain, i only know that for me that was not a good boosted sound...Really a lot better without...
Now it works perfectly for me...I tested it with a PRS custom 24 and a strato on a 77 Fender silverface, on a custom made dumble clone, on a custom made bassman, on a jtm45 alike, and also on some small and cheap trannies amps...In my opinion it sounds good now.It's always clean, a little bit dirty if i use high output guitar (PSR) at full volume, it's rich of armonics...I've the feeling that it seemes to "open" the sounds especially on higher freq...It gives you more presence, and notes seems to be more definite...It's really hard to explain, i'm sorry :)

Crim

mrkaploca
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mrkaploca »

ryanuk wrote:LJDA - good job with the layout - which program did you use???

Jimib - as requested, here is the top and bottom views of my layout - just print them at 100% and they are the right size. Also attached is a blow up of the layout.

Im pretty sure this is correct but please please please - everyone who has a katana please post more pics just so we can be sure.

Peace, out.

RyUK
Hi is this verified layout?This is double sided PCB???

ryanuk
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by ryanuk »

mrkaploca wrote:
ryanuk wrote:LJDA - good job with the layout - which program did you use???

Jimib - as requested, here is the top and bottom views of my layout - just print them at 100% and they are the right size. Also attached is a blow up of the layout.

Im pretty sure this is correct but please please please - everyone who has a katana please post more pics just so we can be sure.

Peace, out.

RyUK
Hi is this verified layout?This is double sided PCB???
Hi mrkaploca,

Yep - my double-sided PCB is verified; I made one myself based upon the layout. VERY tricky since I use the PCB pen etch method. Took some time to draw the traces accurately. However, now its built and works like a charm.
VERY loud. My Katana clone has a old strat knob - I find that "3" is slight louder than unity. "7" onwards is plain crazy!!!

mrkaploca
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mrkaploca »

I made katana according ryanuk's schematics and layout.But,It doesnt work.no sound at all...I measure only 7.2V on the output of the voltage doubler?? :hmmm: I changed other chip cause I thought I blew it with static discharge but all the same.Is there a single side layout around??

ryanuk
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by ryanuk »

mrkaploca - the layout should work fine. Its a copy of keeley's board. In addition I personally verified it (was a pig to etch as I'm still using the PCB pen method!!)

Re-check your traces, components and wiring. Some pics might help debug it.

RyUK

ryanuk
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by ryanuk »

mrkaploca

update to my previous post - I had another thought.

As the PCB is double sided, some tracks on the 2 layers need to be linked together; where necessary this is achieved by the legs of the compnents [e.g. IC1, C5, C6 etc], 1 jumper and 2 "vias". Might be worth checking that the layers are linked correctly.

In any case, I stayed up most of last night putting together a single sided layout. Will double check it with fresh eyes today and post if its ok.

RyUK

mrkaploca
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mrkaploca »

Thanks Ryanuk very much for all the support!I didn't see your post otherwise I wouldn't do my board :slap: .
Anyway I had problem with making dual side pcb,or maybe with CMOS 1044 chip...so I decided to make my single side board with no 1044 but with straight 18V input.
As I am newbie in board design,it is not aesthetic :oops: ,but it is working like charm and verified by me.

my7of9
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by my7of9 »

ryanuk wrote:mrkaploca

update to my previous post - I had another thought.

As the PCB is double sided, some tracks on the 2 layers need to be linked together; where necessary this is achieved by the legs of the compnents [e.g. IC1, C5, C6 etc], 1 jumper and 2 "vias". Might be worth checking that the layers are linked correctly.

In any case, I stayed up most of last night putting together a single sided layout. Will double check it with fresh eyes today and post if its ok.

RyUK
That would be most appreciated. Thank You!