Devi Ever - Legend of Fuzz

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
astrobass
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by astrobass »

commathe wrote:
astrobass wrote:Lots and lots of fuzz pedals can handle chords quite well. Please don't presume that I don't know what a fuzz pedal is.
I would love to build a fuzz that can handle chords! Any thing that's been traced you could point me towards? Though I do like playing major seconds with a fuzz that can't handle it and getting that very aggressive beating sound.
Part of the issue is going to be how you define what is and isn't a fuzz. SOME PEOPLE are going to insist that a Big Muff isn't a fuzz because the diodes are in the negative feedback loop. But it sounds like a fuzz, it acts like a fuzz, and people generally call it one. So I'm going to call it one too. It does chords. The Swollen Pickle MKII is the best BMP derivative I've ever used, and it easily handles open position chords.

The Fuzz Face (silicon or germanium) and just about all of the related circuits (the ones I've heard anyways) all handle chords nicely too. That includes the D*A*M Meathead.

You're going to get some beating, but with those it's mild and creates a pleasant bit of texture. Those are the obvious examples anyways. The BMP and FF are super easy builds with tons of build guides and info available all over the place.

I've found that my Superfuzz build doesn't like chords as much. But I'm not sure it's representative. My Bloody Valentine used basically the same effect (I believe they used the Shin-Ei version of the same circuit), and they were playing full chords too. So that's probably a flaw in mine.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Kevin Shields claims that most of the distortion on their records comes from amps: I know he uses a huge pedalboard live, though.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

astrobass
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by astrobass »

The Superfuzz is a terrible project for a beginner anyways. It's got six transistors in it, two of which need to be matched, and the vero layouts are necessarily fairly complicated. Point to point is just not a good choice. It's difficult to narrow down build issues too.

The FF is a much safer starting point. The Meathead is just a modded FF. Great second step. The BMP is designed in obvious stages that make it easy to build one bit at a time, testing as you go. It also introduces tone controls, and has a popular sound that's completely distinct from the Fuzz Face. Then you can look at mods, things like the Musket Fuzz, learn about diodes, all that neat shit.

Those two make for a good bang for your buck learning and playing experience, once you've built your first simple boost circuit (the LPB-1 is a good one to start with, but the Rangemaster and Electra are both totally viable as well).

This Devi Ever stuff really isn't any harder to build than the FF, but you won't learn much from doing so, there's less support available online, and her pedals lack versatility from a playing perspective.

Drawngrey
Information

Post by Drawngrey »

Hello, im sorry but I cannot find the info about what resistor is going to the 3rd pin on the control pot. Its hidden in the green tape. Thanks!