Analogman - King of Tone  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.

Re: Analogman - King of Tone

Postby FlyingWild » 06 Nov 2019, 00:00

I have just breadboarded this pedal, and although I don't anticipate ever running it with the gain wide open, I was just wondering if it's normal for it to get very very bright when you do so.

There is a point from about 3 O'clock onward where it the brightness noticeably increases with the gain increase, the presence is all the way down and even with the tone all the way down too the brightness is noticeable.

Otherwise it seems to be working as expected, deviations from the schematic:

I don't have a B25K pot to hand so using a B20K, and I'm using a RC4558 Opamp and 1N4148 clipping diodes, for both soft and hard clipping, but currently just trying out the soft clipping.
FlyingWild

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby Seiche » 06 Nov 2019, 09:02

What happens when you turn the presence all the way "up"?

Check all your resistors and caps around the tone and presence control as well as potentiometer pinout.
Seiche
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 214 times

Postby FlyingWild » 06 Nov 2019, 09:36

Thanks for your help Seiche,

Seiche wrote:What happens when you turn the presence all the way "up"?

It gets brighter.

Seiche wrote:Check all your resistors and caps around the tone and presence control as well as potentiometer pinout.

I don't have time right now, but will double check again tonight. I take it from your post that the increase in brightness is not normal then? My tone pot is 20k not 25k as I don't currently have a 25k pot, but could add a 4k7 in series with the 20k to get me closer for testing purposes.

With the gain at 2 O'clock, presence at its lowest position and volume just over unity, I like the tone at about 2 O'clock, which all seems about right to me. I'll investigate more tonight, thanks again.
FlyingWild

Postby FiveseveN » 06 Nov 2019, 16:26

FlyingWild wrote:I take it from your post that the increase in brightness is not normal then?

I haven't built it, but the schematic looks like it shouldn't be that noticeable, unless you've mistakenly used 10n instead of 100n for C5. That would be my first guess (code should be 104). Couldn't be related to the tone section since the drive pot can't influence those filters.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)
FiveseveN
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 55 times

Postby FlyingWild » 09 Nov 2019, 11:22

Just discovered my mistake, I used a 1k resistor instead of a 10k resistor after the drive pot.

better carry on checking in case I've made any other slip ups!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For this message the author FlyingWild has received thanks:
Seiche (09 Nov 2019, 11:43)
FlyingWild

Previous

Return to Boutique Stompboxes dissected...