Fulltone - OCD  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Nick123 wrote:Is OCD just VoodooLab rippoff ( with MOSFET's instead of Si diodes) ?
I don't know - I have not seen one - but I have read that elsewhere on another forum/s - it may be true, but then it may be lies.
If you find out for sure, please let us know :wink:

markm
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by markm »

I've read that same info and I myself cannont confirm this although, I had someone e-mail me that this is exactly what the OCD is.

Goop_buster
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Goop_buster »

Nick123 wrote:Is OCD just VoodooLab rippoff ( with MOSFET's instead of Si diodes) ?
I have tested the VL OD with mosfets as clippers but it did not sound very good to me.
However Jack Orman who de-gooped one said at Arons forum that the mosfets are NOT connected as clippers in the more common known ways.

Anyone know how the mosfets are connected in this one?

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

You don´t need the mosfet´s, take normal diodes. Have a look at the datasheet and you will find out, that every small signal mosfet (e.g. BS170) has protection diodes inside. If the polarity is reversed they start clipping. To overcome this problem the mosfet clippers had the germanium diodes in series. It was not or only sparely mentioned why. Now if you want to save money and don´t look at the datasheet, you cantend to ommit the ge-diodes.... You will believe in a mosfet-distortion but in reality it´s only a (protection)-diode distortion... that´s all....

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Goop_buster
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Goop_buster »

analogguru wrote:You don´t need the mosfet´s, take normal diodes. Have a look at the datasheet and you will find out, that every small signal mosfet (e.g. BS170) has protection diodes inside. If the polarity is reversed they start clipping. To overcome this problem the mosfet clippers had the germanium diodes in series. It was not or only sparely mentioned why. Now if you want to save money and don´t look at the datasheet, you cantend to ommit the ge-diodes.... You will believe in a mosfet-distortion but in reality it´s only a (protection)-diode distortion... that´s all....

analogguru
Hi
I am aware of the internaldiodes :) . However according to Orman those OCD clippers are not conncted the usuall ways (examples):

http://www.muzique.com/lab/zenmos.htm

so still currious how they are used here.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

You can use mosfets as clippers, but they will start clipping at a higher voltage and will have a different clipping characteristics than diodes. (rest see above). if you don´t use the additional diodes the effect will be lost since the protection diodes start clipping long before the mosfet itself does.

So you can use mosfets "not in a normal way" that the mosfet itself does the clipping, instead the clipping is done by the (mosfet internal) protection diodes.

In the pcb there are soldered mosfets but they are not working as mosfets - like the normal way - cause the protection diodes override them. The "usual way" would be to connect a diode in series to avoid this.

For more info about the "history" look here:
https://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/schematics.html
and scroll down to "Shaka Braddah III".

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Goop_buster
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Goop_buster »

analogguru wrote:You can use mosfets as clippers, but they will start clipping at a higher voltage and will have a different clipping characteristics than diodes. (rest see above). if you don´t use the additional diodes the effect will be lost since the protection diodes start clipping long before the mosfet itself does.

So you can use mosfets "not in a normal way" that the mosfet itself does the clipping, instead the clipping is done by the (mosfet internal) protection diodes.

In the pcb there are soldered mosfets but they are not working as mosfets - like the normal way - cause the protection diodes override them. The "usual way" would be to connect a diode in series to avoid this.

For more info about the "history" look here:
https://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/schematics.html
and scroll down to "Shaka Braddah III".

analogguru
I hear you :D .
To clarify...my starting point was that Orman stated that they were not connected with serial diodes like in Shaka. So I tried this variant instead

http://www.muzique.com/images/mos5.gif

effectively using the internal diodes. That did not sound very good to me...just like regular diode clipping or in fact slightly worse.

If you know the actual connection for sure and want to share you could draw them in this VLOD schematic and I will try it out :) .

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electron ... hp?id=1208

freedreamer
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by freedreamer »

on fulltone's site i found this:
http://www.fulltone.com/PDfFiles/OCD%20 ... _small.pdf

nobody has tried to remove goop from a fulltone OCD ? i hear this pedal and it plays a very good sound IMHO :)

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

There's no need to remove the goop from an OCD, verified schems of all 3 versions, sound samples and detailed decriptions of the differencies are on the www.

IC is TL082, Mosfets are 2N7000, the rest is a slightly modded VL-OD.

JHS

freedreamer
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by freedreamer »

mmmh

"sound samples and detailed decriptions of the differencies are on the www. "

what site?

kagaxdx
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by kagaxdx »

Would be too much asking for a schem? An OCD verified schem?

If possible, thank in advance! 8)

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

freedreamer
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by freedreamer »

no schematic or layout ?

markm
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by markm »

JHS wrote:There's no need to remove the goop from an OCD, verified schems of all 3 versions, sound samples and detailed decriptions of the differencies are on the www.
I see sound samples but, no schems? :?:
How about schem links??
Why are we talking in riddles with this circuit?
Join together with the "Banned"!

Goop_buster
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Goop_buster »

markm wrote:
JHS wrote:There's no need to remove the goop from an OCD, verified schems of all 3 versions, sound samples and detailed decriptions of the differencies are on the www.
I see sound samples but, no schems? :?:
How about schem links??
Why are we talking in riddles with this circuit?
+1

Although it has been rumored to be a Voodoo labs OD + tonectrl for a long time I have yet to see any verified complete schematic.
So just put the link(s) in this thread if it is out there :D

snail
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by snail »

I'm quite curious about this one too, specially if there are any changes (from the VLOD) regarding the clipping section tied to the IC's input.

snail

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

https://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb4 ... HS-mod.gif

It delivers V1, V2 V2 tone.

IMHO 250k for Drive is enough for this circuit.

I called it ++ 'cos it sounds better than the original, furthermore I replaced the 10uF O-cap w 2x470n MKT from ITT (the brown ones, Marshall uses in their amps) wired parallel for more natural highend response.
HP/LP Rs can be trimmed to taste.

JHS

freedreamer
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by freedreamer »

a volunteer to make PCB ;) ?

snail
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by snail »

TKS :D

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

markm already has one in his gallery...

I am Klon.