Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Sure, why not? Try it! The change in sound will be quite subtle

dudeduck
Information

Post by dudeduck »

Will do!, what ressitor was replaced to make the voice control? is it the 220?
Im following pete_po's pcb design, i was thinking of puting the 10k pot in series with the 0riginal value so all the way down is stock or maybe a slightly lower value for (posibly) extra tones! :horsey:

Pherhaps the same could be done for the 2k7 resistor to control the gain mod in the future, since i want to try the gain stock,
based on the videos i've heard seems to be enough

bapa
Information

Post by bapa »

Hi

I started building this one a few weeks ago but was out of some parts. All vero´s seems to have dissapeared from idodogs folder. Does anyone know where i can find it?

thanks

dudeduck
Information

Post by dudeduck »

bapa wrote:Hi

I started building this one a few weeks ago but was out of some parts. All vero´s seems to have dissapeared from idodogs folder. Does anyone know where i can find it?

thanks
theres one in the fourth page of this thread by vot
im making the pcb version by pete_po based on this one
ill let you know what it sounds like

https://www.freestompboxes.org/download/ ... &mode=view

thats the vero
hope it helps

guycapuano
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by guycapuano »

Yeah keep us posted on the pcb results :secret:

method
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by method »

Was looking around my hard disk today and found these.
SweetHoney_schematic.png
MP_Sweet_Honey.png

vikingz
Information

Post by vikingz »

To increase headroom for the OP275,alter the polarity protection diode D1 from series to parallell,(My English spelling is crap today for some reason),.
Secondly,change the Gain pot to 1M log instead of the 500k log standard.(grater range),.
Thirdly try 2N7000´s as clippers instead of the 1N4007´s.-There´s a slight difference in dynamics,( i think),.

Finally,-i´ve tried a variety of OP´s in this circuit,and to my ears the OP275 is excellent.

okgb
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by okgb »

I haven't been through all 6 pages , has it been covered what that " extra feedback loop " does ?
after the diodes to ground back to the regular fb loop ]

I hadn't thought of this as a third type , diodes to ground , diodes in fb loop and the both combo

aegert
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by aegert »

Hey

The thread references a bunch of photo's and layouts but none are in the thread anymore except the ones on the last page. Are these the ones used? If not are there any links?.. Thanks for any info in advance!

A :D

iltamyrsky
Information

Post by iltamyrsky »

This one sounds truly good, very dynamic and loud if in need! :D

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

another verified 1590a layout.. hope to verify this and the ecstacy before xmas.. will see..

from method's schem

red indicates VR orange indicates VB (just for my own sanity really)
SweetHoney_1590a-layout2.02(c).jpg
SweetHoney_1590a-pcb2.02.jpg
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

and on this.. the schem has a bunch of strange (non 'preferred') values.. I take it they were measured rather than calculated via colour rings/codes? and also that nearest preferred values will do fine?
:hmmm:

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

rocklander wrote:and on this.. the schem has a bunch of strange (non 'preferred') values.. I take it they were measured rather than calculated via colour rings/codes? and also that nearest preferred values will do fine?
:hmmm:
Of course. There's nothing all that critical in the circuit.

You have to remember that most capacitors are 20% accurate at best, so there's little point in anally selecting 3k instead of 3k3 or 2k instead of 2k2.

Many boutique "designers" (and Electro Harmonix!) just throw in whatever they can buy cheap in bulk at the time!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

mictester wrote:You have to remember that most capacitors are 20% accurate at best
Always knew you bought shit capacitors :mrgreen:

:popcorn:
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

built my layout here and it is now verified (amended the post).

initially the gain wasn't pot working, but turned out to be a dodgy pot. replaced that and it's all working as desired. interesting OD... may end up on my board. tested on my ruby and it certainly highlights harmonics.... will see how it goes on my real amp

neiloler
Information

Post by neiloler »

Really great work!

What are the dimensions of the PCB transfer?

MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

okgb wrote:I haven't been through all 6 pages , has it been covered what that " extra feedback loop " does ?
after the diodes to ground back to the regular fb loop ]

I hadn't thought of this as a third type , diodes to ground , diodes in fb loop and the both combo
Just reviving this because there was never an answer.

I don't claim to have an answer either, but I found that Aaron Nelson's Shaka Braddah received a mod by Jack Orman. It uses a FET at the second gain stage, and the mod entails replacing a 27k source resistor with a red LED with the cathode connected to ground. The explanation was that much of the boost of that stage was given up, but the LED added "great harmonics and roundness."

I also looked at the OP275's data sheet and found the following, which may or may not be relevant to what this diode does:

Input Overcurrent Protection
The maximum input differential voltage that can be applied to the OP275 is determined by a pair of internal Zener diodes connected across its inputs. They limit the maximum differential input voltage to ±7.5 V. This is to prevent emitter-base junction breakdown from occurring in the input stage of the OP275 when very large differential voltages are applied.

Since there seem to be numerous reports of the OP275 sounding best in this pedal, it could be due to the input Zener diodes, and how the single LED works in conjunction with them.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

rocklander wrote:built my layout here and it is now verified (amended the post).

initially the gain wasn't pot working, but turned out to be a dodgy pot. replaced that and it's all working as desired. interesting OD... may end up on my board. tested on my ruby and it certainly highlights harmonics.... will see how it goes on my real amp
this pedal is weird. I've had it on my gigging board for a long time now and always loved the sound when I play (standing near by). last night at practice I went out in front of the band (to listen to the drummer vocals) and noticed that it sounds awful out in the audience. I had no idea. kinda sounds like the speaker is torn.. it just doesn't carry well. I imagine it'd be great for recording, but make sure you get away to your audience perspective if you want to use it live.. could just be the combo of it and my amp, but I'll be changing it out asap.

Zorki 1991
Information

Post by Zorki 1991 »

Hello, I soldered this overdrive But it is very little distorted signal. In what may be a problem?
Attachments
SHOD.pdf
(404.37 KiB) Downloaded 389 times

BJF
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by BJF »

analogguru wrote:I am wondering if C1 is really only 4n7, simply because the BJF - Honey Bee uses a 47n in this position.

analogguru
HI there,

Yes it does and the reason is this while devoloping this model for MP and in a form that they actually could make at any scale there just happened to come to my workshop a guy that played an MP 101 amplifier and he said he tried all my models, including BJF Hoeny bee to have something to drive channel two into heavy gain and had come to the conclusion the an Xcotic BB reamp sounded better in this application.

As the MP 101 amplifier was new at that point I felt that MP should really have a pedal that would do this and so there was some testing in the sound booth that lead to that among other things this capacitor became 4n7 and then this new to be MP pedal actually sounded better in the desired application than the Xcotic.

Yes this cap was at first 47nf and the object of the design was to make something that would sound close to BJF Honey Bee albeit be made with parts that would allow mass production- and yes that is what the diode across the second OP amp's feedback is doing: making something of the nonlinearity that the output amplifier of BJF honey Bee does.

In retrospect I am happy that I did not pursue making this model closer to BJF Honey Bee and I also think the SHOD is underrated as a predrive to distorted amplifiers, but I guess it is all for the good now.

'What It Is' Steven Bruton

At your service
BJ