Lovepedal - Les Lius  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
WhiteKeyHole
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by WhiteKeyHole »

Looks correct as is.

WhiteKeyHole
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by WhiteKeyHole »

Not all FETs are ideal for switching applications. I don't think there's anything wrong with how I've implemented it. Better to go the less convoluted route, anyways. As mentioned earlier, put a large value resistor (4.7M) in parallel with the switch to avoid popping.

As for being less bright, it's possible that the input and output capacitor values are not correct. I went with the values used in the Woodrow. Brightness is affected by the gain of the transistor used, as well.

cbriere
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by cbriere »

here is my build

i used the last schematics version found here, except for the shottky diodes. I have put 2 in series to have same output volume whem switching between modes.
I really like the sound of it.

cbriere
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by cbriere »

no FET switching, footswitch straight,

blueskiwi
Information

Post by blueskiwi »

I'm not a builder, just a player... I recently bought a Les Lius. It sounds great, pretty much spot-on tone wise, but I don't understand why there's no gain control for the basic sound, just on the 'stack' channel.

For my taste there's just too much gain/distortion in the basic sound and I can't turn it down (only volume-wise).

Since you folks have dissected the pedal I was wondering if it this was some limitation of the circuit type, or just a design decision to please the power-chording bedroom-guitarists who must make up the bulk of the pedal buying market?

Any suggestions for similar sounding pedals around to try?

nooneknows
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by nooneknows »

on proguitarshop.com videos there's a A - B test of this pedal againsta real Fender Deluxe, it my be only a woodrow but it sounds pretty close to the original, even better than I thought, interesting

blueskiwi
Information

Post by blueskiwi »

absolutely, the sound is pretty much spot on. I was looking for a 'substitute' pedal for those gigs where I have to play through a borrowed amp (usually something like a silverface Twin...)

what wasn't obvious to me from the videos is that you can't turn the basic gain down - it's great for the zz top and neil young stuff, but if you want the sound of a Deluxe just starting to break up there's no way to get it...

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

i found "B" to be the pedal- you could hear the rattiness of the diode clippers breaking up, and the mid range just wasn't there. they matched up the tones better on the reveal vid better though... no surprise- they are out to sell pedals you know.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

sevinisthenumber
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by sevinisthenumber »

Anyone have a layout?
"The man who says he knows everything will never know the truth"
C.S. Lewis

okgb
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by okgb »

Did you say what kind of camera you used ?
great macro , i can never get mine quite in focus

reverend
Information

Post by reverend »

How the DPDT switch (S2) should be wired? I'm using it instead of spst because I want the led for boost switch also. I'm using the vero layout from the previous page.

SoulShade
Information

Post by SoulShade »

WhiteKeyHole wrote: As for being less bright, it's possible that the input and output capacitor values are not correct. I went with the values used in the Woodrow. Brightness is affected by the gain of the transistor used, as well.
So has anyone verified the layout/schematic have the correct input capacitors, etc.?

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

grabbed the la vache from madbean and used the schem (thanks madbean!) to make a 1590A layout.

it's squashed dowm so the toggles 'should' fit north of the board.. as yet unverified, but I've checked it a few times.. will be building in the next couple of weeks.. enjoy :block:
lavache-pcb-layout1.1.schem.pdf
(94.57 KiB) Downloaded 958 times
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

method
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by method »

Another old layout I downloaded earlier this year. Didn't see it in this thread, so here it is.
mb-less_lius_vero.png
mb-less_lius_vero.png (11.69 KiB) Viewed 3353 times

HHR18
Information

Post by HHR18 »

I just build it using the layout of method but I don't get any sound, only in bypass! When I push on the stripboard near the 9v and ground points it works. Anyone able to help?

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

HHR18 wrote:I just build it using the layout of method but I don't get any sound, only in bypass! When I push on the stripboard near the 9v and ground points it works. Anyone able to help?
resolder the 9v and GND connections.

HHR18
Information

Post by HHR18 »

Seiche wrote:
HHR18 wrote:I just build it using the layout of method but I don't get any sound, only in bypass! When I push on the stripboard near the 9v and ground points it works. Anyone able to help?
I did and the voltage reads normal on the 9V lane and 0 on the ground lane. Anything else I might have overlooked? When I push hard on the stripboard, I get a lot more sound coming out of the pedal!

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

HHR18 wrote:
Seiche wrote:
I did and the voltage reads normal on the 9V lane and 0 on the ground lane. Anything else I might have overlooked? When I push hard on the stripboard, I get a lot more sound coming out of the pedal!
i don't know what the pushing does. Maybe there is a microscopic trace shorting the tracks between those two. I recommend running a blade between then to clear the tracks. most problems with vero are because of that.

HHR18
Information

Post by HHR18 »

Here are some pictures, I cleared the tracks but it's still not working!:

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

everything looks to be in the right place.

the other thing could be that the stranded wires unfiddled a bit when pushing them through the hole so there might be a tiny wire going from 9v to gnd, shorting it. try to look on the topside for this. Can be with any of the stranded wires when they are that close. I can't really tell from the photograph but it looks like there might be a tiny wire sticking out from the gnd wire.

like this