EHX - Echoflanger  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
Govmnt_Lacky
Information

Post by Govmnt_Lacky »

nelson wrote:This thing is a bitch to route.
Just a friendly suggestion 8)

You really do not need all that real estate for the 2P4T rotary switch. You can pick up GND anywhere and you only need 3 connection points for the contacts.

You could probably buy yourself quite a bit more space if you don't incorporate an "on-board" rotary switch :applause:

nelson
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nelson »

Govmnt_Lacky wrote:
nelson wrote:This thing is a bitch to route.
Just a friendly suggestion 8)

You really do not need all that real estate for the 2P4T rotary switch. You can pick up GND anywhere and you only need 3 connection points for the contacts.

You could probably buy yourself quite a bit more space if you don't incorporate an "on-board" rotary switch :applause:
After I posted this I dumped the rotary switch and 4053 in favour of an SPDT toggle for the disconnecting the LFO and switching to A steady DC and a 3PDT toggle for the other changes in the audio path and the clock cap. I ended up replacing the blend switch with a full wet/dry blend pot and added a gain recovery stage at the output. All 4 functions work as they did before. Just two toggles instead of one rotary and those two CD4053.

The Electronic switching and rotary just felt like a bigger headache than I wanted.

Govmnt_Lacky
Information

Post by Govmnt_Lacky »

nelson wrote: After I posted this I dumped the rotary switch and 4053 in favour of an SPDT toggle for the disconnecting the LFO and switching to A steady DC and a 3PDT toggle for the other changes in the audio path and the clock cap. I ended up replacing the blend switch with a full wet/dry blend pot and added a gain recovery stage at the output. All 4 functions work as they did before. Just two toggles instead of one rotary and those two CD4053.

The Electronic switching and rotary just felt like a bigger headache than I wanted.
Sounds like you did quite a bit of choppin'!

Should make the layout quite a bit smaller. Definitely a lot faster than me :oops:

Can't wait to see it :applause:

nelson
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nelson »

Govmnt_Lacky wrote:
nelson wrote: After I posted this I dumped the rotary switch and 4053 in favour of an SPDT toggle for the disconnecting the LFO and switching to A steady DC and a 3PDT toggle for the other changes in the audio path and the clock cap. I ended up replacing the blend switch with a full wet/dry blend pot and added a gain recovery stage at the output. All 4 functions work as they did before. Just two toggles instead of one rotary and those two CD4053.

Should make the layout quite a bit smaller. Definitely a lot faster than me :oops:

Here's the schematic.

Should make it clearer how I modified the circuit.
Attachments
MN3007EF+mod.pdf
EHX EChoflanger with MN3007 Retrofit. Removal of electronic switching and added Blend Mod
(57.79 KiB) Downloaded 468 times

PmCimini
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by PmCimini »

it does seem okay, any builds? the new stereo poly chorus (both large chassis and die-cast aluminum) run with one MN3008 and one MN3009. Suprised to not see any gutshots of those here... The circuitry is a lot different, but does anyone know how it compares to the sound of the old one?

Govmnt_Lacky
Information

Post by Govmnt_Lacky »

PmCimini wrote:it does seem okay, any builds? the new stereo poly chorus (both large chassis and die-cast aluminum) run with one MN3008 and one MN3009. Suprised to not see any gutshots of those here... The circuitry is a lot different, but does anyone know how it compares to the sound of the old one?
This seems odd to me. Seeing as the original Echoflanger circuit (which is reported to be the same circuit that was used in the Polychorus... just a name change) used (2) SAD1024 chips. One chip in series (1024 stages) and one chip in parallel (512 stages)
Now, seeing as the newer versions use MN3008 (2048 stages) and MN3009 (256 stages) I can only assume that they achieve the same results by altering the clock signal :hmmm:

Very odd.

nelson
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nelson »

Govmnt_Lacky wrote:
PmCimini wrote:it does seem okay, any builds? the new stereo poly chorus (both large chassis and die-cast aluminum) run with one MN3008 and one MN3009. Suprised to not see any gutshots of those here... The circuitry is a lot different, but does anyone know how it compares to the sound of the old one?
This seems odd to me. Seeing as the original Echoflanger circuit (which is reported to be the same circuit that was used in the Polychorus... just a name change) used (2) SAD1024 chips. One chip in series (1024 stages) and one chip in parallel (512 stages)
Now, seeing as the newer versions use MN3008 (2048 stages) and MN3009 (256 stages) I can only assume that they achieve the same results by altering the clock signal :hmmm:

Very odd.

I have a schematic of the reissue. It's extensively modified from the original. It uses the 256 stage bbd for the flange/filter matrix and the 2048 for the chorus/slapback. The LFO is different. The set up for the tune/width controls is changed.

It will react and sound quite different to the original.

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

nelson wrote:
Govmnt_Lacky wrote:

Here's the schematic.

Should make it clearer how I modified the circuit.

Great MAN!!!!! would you please can made a PCB and a layout from these?? thanks a lot!!!! million thanks!!!!! :applause: :applause:

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

nelson wrote:
Govmnt_Lacky wrote:

Very odd.

I have a schematic of the reissue. It's extensively modified from the original. It uses the 256 stage bbd for the flange/filter matrix and the 2048 for the chorus/slapback. The LFO is different. The set up for the tune/width controls is changed.

It will react and sound quite different to the original.
The circuit I saw used MN3008 & MN3009

sodapep2
Information

Post by sodapep2 »

Hey Nelson, nice schematic! I'm looking into making a PCB for it, however I'm a bit confused as to where 'to clock timing cap' goes on SW1G$3 next to R36 on the right middle side of the audio schematic. I can't seem to find its mate.

Thanks!

Govmnt_Lacky
Information

Post by Govmnt_Lacky »

sodapep2 wrote:Hey Nelson, nice schematic! I'm looking into making a PCB for it, however I'm a bit confused as to where 'to clock timing cap' goes on SW1G$3 next to R36 on the right middle side of the audio schematic. I can't seem to find its mate.

Thanks!
I believe it goes to the "CH/FL Switch" on the first sheet. The change in cap values is needed to switch the delay rates.

sodapep2
Information

Post by sodapep2 »

Govmnt_Lacky wrote:
sodapep2 wrote:Hey Nelson, nice schematic! I'm looking into making a PCB for it, however I'm a bit confused as to where 'to clock timing cap' goes on SW1G$3 next to R36 on the right middle side of the audio schematic. I can't seem to find its mate.

Thanks!
I believe it goes to the "CH/FL Switch" on the first sheet. The change in cap values is needed to switch the delay rates.
I see. So 'to clock timing cap' = 'To CH/FLSwitch'. Thanks!

sodapep2
Information

Post by sodapep2 »

I also gotta say, what's up with the odd resistor values?

3.01k? :?

Govmnt_Lacky
Information

Post by Govmnt_Lacky »

sodapep2 wrote:I also gotta say, what's up with the odd resistor values?

3.01k? :?
My guess is that EH used whatever they had on-hand at the time.

Not much difference between a 3K and a 3.01K :thumbsup

Govmnt_Lacky
Information

Post by Govmnt_Lacky »

Thanks!
Any progress/news on this?

sodapep2
Information

Post by sodapep2 »

Making progress. Right in the middle of busy season (harvest), so it's slow but it's getting there!

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

sodapep2 wrote:Making progress. Right in the middle of busy season (harvest), so it's slow but it's getting there!
GOODNESSS!!! the force is with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get it man!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Govmnt_Lacky
Information

Post by Govmnt_Lacky »

Cruzin' through here and gotta ask...

Any new progress sodapep? :applause:

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

Govmnt_Lacky wrote:Cruzin' through here and gotta ask...

Any new progress sodapep? :applause:
Yeahhh my friend sodapep, got´em THE FORCE IS WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :horsey:

Govmnt_Lacky
Information

Post by Govmnt_Lacky »

Any news on this soda?