Zvex - Fuzz Factory  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
EdGrip
Information

Post by EdGrip »

induction wrote:*board-mounted pot awesomeness*
:O Man. Thanks for this. You've just inspired me to build a Fuzz Factory again. Last time, by the time I'd finished the offboard pot wiring, me and the pedal had already become enemies. This makes me want to try again. :)

induction
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by induction »

Glad to help. Credit goes to Harald for the idea.

If you do build it, here's a tip. I added some small jumpers to the pot lugs so that I could space the pots how I wanted them on the box. If you use smaller knobs or pcb mount pots it might not matter (except aesthetically), but I used solder lug pots and I'm kind of OCD about the spacing and the types of knobs I like. IvIark's little vero pot-mounting boards might do the trick as well, but I've never tried them.

mirosol
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Been on Bogner for quite some time now.
Completed builds: Over 1000 and counting.

Post by mirosol »

rasta_maleek wrote:hi people.
Any news about the new zvex fat fuzz factory?
I'd too be interested to see if it's just a cap value change on the switch or something else.
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/
http://mirosol.kapsi.fi/
"No such thing as innocence" -Iron Chic

rasta_maleek
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by rasta_maleek »

i find one shot
Attachments
fat f factory.jpg

aslam182
Information

Post by aslam182 »

I've browsed through some schematics to build my own Fuzz Factory.

Some of them are layouts that are on the PCB or copper stripboard.

It's a school project so i'm looking to build one on a breadboard first. Thus i'll need to use the schematic of the circuit as reference.

Could someone verify this schematic?

Thank you very very much

mirosol
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mirosol »

aslam182 wrote: Could someone verify this schematic?

https://solgrind.files.wordpress.com/20 ... rev1-1.gif
I believe this schematic has been built over and over. Why don't you just breadboard it?

aslam182
Information

Post by aslam182 »

mirosol wrote:
aslam182 wrote: Could someone verify this schematic?

https://solgrind.files.wordpress.com/20 ... rev1-1.gif
I believe this schematic has been built over and over. Why don't you just breadboard it?
Yes i'll look into that.

Unfortunately i just had to change my plans. I am only allowed to use NPN transistors. Did a fair bit of searching and this came up: https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 13&t=13491

I assume that both pedals will sound rather different although "schematic-ally" the NPN version is also correct?

mirosol
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mirosol »

Don't think you'll notice any difference in sound. Just remember to remove the filter cap as it will tame most of the oscillation that is a feature.

aslam182
Information

Post by aslam182 »

mirosol wrote:Don't think you'll notice any difference in sound. Just remember to remove the filter cap as it will tame most of the oscillation that is a feature.
Please forgive me for my ignorance, which is the power filter cap? Is that the C1 100uF?

astrobass
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by astrobass »

aslam182 wrote:
mirosol wrote:Don't think you'll notice any difference in sound. Just remember to remove the filter cap as it will tame most of the oscillation that is a feature.
Please forgive me for my ignorance, which is the power filter cap? Is that the C1 100uF?
Yes. A power filtering cap is a largish value cap between +V and -V. Electrolytic caps sometimes let higher frequency oscillations so sometimes you'll also see a polyfilm or ceramic in parallel with the larger cap.

zedsnotdead
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by zedsnotdead »

Hi all!

any news/info about the FAT version of this?

TY

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Attachments
Zvex - Fuzz Factory serial #10
ff10 01.jpg (51.43 KiB) Viewed 10029 times
ff10 02.jpg (55.03 KiB) Viewed 10029 times
ff10 03.jpg (56.14 KiB) Viewed 10029 times
ff10 04.jpg (49.78 KiB) Viewed 10029 times
ff10 05.jpg (60.89 KiB) Viewed 10029 times
ff10 06.jpg (39.05 KiB) Viewed 10029 times
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

mirosol
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mirosol »

zedsnotdead wrote:Hi all!

any news/info about the FAT version of this?

TY
Madbean's Zombii diy project suggests that the fat switch is a 1M resistor and a 10µ cap in parallel with 100n between 3904 stage and germanium stage. The switch shorts out the 1M. Haven't seen the original fat version guts, so i can't confirm this, but it does seem legit.

MarkL
Information

Post by MarkL »

Davy Boy Smith wrote:I think I found the problem, and it has to do with the hFE of one of the transistors. more to follow.

[ Image ]
Hey -- I "get" the joke (Anne Frank/Frank Zappa), but really, please reconsider making light of an innocent 14 year Jewish old girl's death at the hand of the Nazis.

Frank would certainly not be laughing at this.

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: ‘65 Twin Reverb
Completed builds: Fuzz & Preamps mostly.

Post by bumblebee »

I haven’t posted here in years and I’m just browsing to see what’s new.

I remember back in 2006 I modded my FF to get rid of the thinness and add some bass to it. I used 10µ input and output.

I saw people were hesitant to mod theirs but over the years a few people did and then Vzex decides to make the fat version, I had to laugh at the time as he got it from me. :mrgreen:

Similar thing happened with the woolly mammoth as I made a NOS germanium transistor Version on vero around 2005/2006, which of course I shared with the pedal world on all the forums I frequented.

lol at his originality.
I so dislike the modern digital world that I need to use semi-digital effects to emulate the analog world of cassette, VHS, and vinyl.

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by bumblebee »

bumblebee wrote:I haven’t posted here in years and I’m just browsing to see what’s new.

I remember back in 2006 I modded my FF to get rid of the thinness and add some bass to it. I used 10µ input and output.

I saw people were hesitant to mod theirs but over the years a few people did and then Vzex decides to make the fat version, I had to laugh at the time as he got it from me. :mrgreen:

Similar thing happened with the woolly mammoth as I made a NOS germanium transistor Version on vero around 2005/2006, which of course I shared with the pedal world on all the forums I frequented.

lol at his originality.
Sorry, I added the wrong values.

I quote myself from my original post with the correct values:

“my fuzzfactory....
Its got 100uf output and 47uf input caps, BC109c in Q1 and a 5nf cap across B and C of Q3.
this is one of the worst fuzz pedals ever imo, i dont much like it at all and cant understand all the hype about it.Its decent now that ive changed it but stock its just awful.”

In the past I contributed a reasonable amount to this forum but as years passed without me visiting regularly my links, images and layouts died so I will be repairing all my links over the next couple of weeks for all those who still need them.
I so dislike the modern digital world that I need to use semi-digital effects to emulate the analog world of cassette, VHS, and vinyl.

abc1234
Information

Post by abc1234 »

bumblebee wrote:I haven’t posted here in years and I’m just browsing to see what’s new.

lol at his originality.
lol at your ego.

You just named two of the most obvious fuzz pedal mods in existence—who hasn't breadboarded a fuzz and thought, "What if I increase the caps for more bass?", or "What would it sound like if I swapped germs for silicon (or vice-versa)?"

You also "lol at his originality" while cloning his circuits...

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Zvex :whappen:
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by bumblebee »

abc1234 wrote:

lol at his originality.
lol at your ego.

You just named two of the most obvious fuzz pedal mods in existence—who hasn't breadboarded a fuzz and thought, "What if I increase the caps for more bass?", or "What would it sound like if I swapped germs for silicon (or vice-versa)?"

You also "lol at his originality" while cloning his circuits...
You have no idea about what it was like when this Forum started and the associated hate we got from “all hail king Zachery” ass lickers, let alone before it even existed; and the associated circuit censorship we all worked to smash.

Nor do you know about him saying “the FF is the way I designed it and that’s how it will stay” or something similar when I suggested to him the (yes, simple) mods I done on my own on zvex produced pedals I had at the time.

Point is, it takes a long time for people to catch up and it has nothing to do with “ego” as I simply stated a fact. Today with all the bootweakers and BYOC sellers it’s nothing but “paint by numbers”. It used to be different with the most desirable effects as we all had to RE them first, and usually only from photos. Take the highly prized Klon for example, the RE work those guys done to get a clone of that was amazing and what did they ask for in return? Nothing!

Learn to have some respect for those early members who have contributed more to this forum than you likely ever will. I’ve seen the same loud mouthed assholes give AG a piece of their mind. If you don’t know who AG is then this just further proves my point.

So, in essence - fuck off and die scumfuck!

lol and behold, another “egotistical” individual claims Zachary knocked off his design...and its right here on this very forum listed beneath this one as a “similar thread”

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27814

marcao_cfh
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by marcao_cfh »

Generic username, 3 posts. Surely doesn't know how things used to be 10-15 years ago. Or knows, but it's somebody that created a fake user to just cause discord. I do remember all the "hail Zvex" stuff, all the "you posted my schematic, remove it" stuff and the "we are forbidden of talking about Zvex circuits" stuff - which is, for what my memory remembers, the reason this forum cames up.

Didn't saw any "ego" thing on bumblebee's post. Back then, a lot of nowadays called "regular mods" wasn't that common. A LOT of brands made use of that "just increase caps" and released it as a new product. A LOT of brands released a TS clone as one product, then added a diode switch/caps switch and released it as a entirely different product (and they still do it nowadays). So yeah, somebody who started to build pedals a year or two thinks those are "the most obvious mods". But back in 2002, when I started, people were amazed when somebody added a switch for hard clipping and a switch for soft clipping on a TS. Hell, back in 2002 some people had to make their own DPDT stomp switch, because they were hard to find and expensive to buy. The 3PDT was a dream come true, and now everybody can get them for cheap.

What about "lol at Z's originality"? Most of his circuit is just "let's pick that generic mosfet stage (SHO) and put a few in series or add something different to it". Box of Rock and that octave circuit are basically this, SHOs in series with SHOs, or SHOs in series with a generic transformer+diodes stage which is nothing original.

I do remember that 7 pot Fuzz Factory. I thought it was insane when that guy made it, because Fuzz Factory already have a lot of pots. And I never knew Zvex released a 7 pot Fuzz Factory until now, but I do know this guy's version. Coincidence?