KFA - Fuzzly Bear boutique Bosstone  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
EmmG
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by EmmG »

Less compression and more volume. Someone used my layout but with switchable LED's. EHX has a Bosstone clone without any clipping diodes at all.

bc108
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: BE100

Post by bc108 »

EmmG wrote:Less compression and more volume. Someone used my layout but with switchable LED's. EHX has a Bosstone clone without any clipping diodes at all.
You're right... I don't reminded the parallel/series diodes properties.

I used on-off-on switch with 1n4148 in one side, red leds on another, and nothing in the middle.
That way I have the 3 options.

Sasan
Information

Post by Sasan »

Hi all,

first, thanks for the layout of one of the nicest Fuzz pedals out there. I'm a huge KMA fan and own the Fuzzly Bear already!
Nevertheless, I wanted to copy the pedal for a friend of mine....unfortunately, it's not working.

I double-checked everything, cut the lines to make sure there's no connection, etc...I can't seem to find the problem! :scratch:
Bypass works, as do the LEDs when I switch the pedal on...I probably overlook something

Any help is appreciated!Thanks in advance!

Here's two pics of the stripboard:

Image Image

EmmG
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by EmmG »

The 4001 is backwards. Also, lug#1 of the pregain pot should go either to row "H" if you choose not to place the pink resistor, or row " K" if you do - not both.

Sasan
Information

Post by Sasan »

EmmG wrote:The 4001 is backwards. Also, lug#1 of the pregain pot should go either to row "H" if you choose not to place the pink resistor, or row " K" if you do - not both.
Wow, thanks for your fast reply! I can't believe I've put 4001 in backwards... :scratch:
And thanks for the clarification with lug#1...! Didn't know that as this was my first pedal not based on a kit! :) Thanks a lot!

wompikus
Information

Post by wompikus »

So something weird is happening.. I built it and could never get it to work, until I put it in chain with my other pedals and supply, and suddenly it worked fine! Sounds great. I tried it again by itself and all it does is buzz and hum and not in the good fuzz way, more like licking a cable going into an amp. Any ideas why this would happen?

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

bad ground connection somewhere, IMO.

edugg
Information

Post by edugg »

Strange thing about this build, i get a lot of noise in the signal, sometimes white noise, even with gain all down, or random rf interferences. Redone everything, but got the same result, even in a isolated powersupply. The sag control also doesn't do as much in the videos I have seen.

Rumble
Information

Post by Rumble »

I built this its working and it sounds awesome. However when I plug the input jack in the pedal works but the LED switches off.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before? The input jack is shorting the LED?

What should I check? I used a PCB to wire up the footswitch.

Thanks
Rumble

Rumble
Information

Post by Rumble »

My issue was the jacks were switching jacks and I had connected the wrong side of the jack. When the lead was plugged in it was severing the connection.

PeteIllson
Information

Post by PeteIllson »

Looks like a great design KMA. Will definitely give this a try.