Eagle Tips, Tricks, Help and other Useful Information

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...
RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

i've got a problem with eagle putting up connections on my board that don't match my schematic. i've checked for errors and made sure the connections were all there, and it looks correct but eagle is connecting them wrong for some reason. here is what i have going on.
GRBOMBPROB2.png
GRBOMBPROB2.png (12.43 KiB) Viewed 10012 times
as you can see, the sends and returns for my pots don't match up. wtf?

anyone know why this is happening?
Attachments
GRBOMBPROB.png
GRBOMBPROB.png (18.91 KiB) Viewed 10008 times
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Silent Fly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Silent Fly »

I find difficult follow the schematics and the board without the components names in the schematics. Could post the schematics again with the components names?

For the pots I use TRIM_EU-B64Y (TRIM_EU-) (package B64Y) in the pot library. I find it really helps in keeping the schematics readable.
"Remember - all I am offering is the truth, nothing more". Morpheus

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

I merged some Eagle threads together. Posting your problem in a longer thread fires off more notification mails to Eagle users who can potentially solve your problem.

Still a readworthy Eagle thread. :thumbsup
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

marshmellow
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by marshmellow »

@RnFR: well, that's because of your usage of the RTN and and SND parts. To make a long story short: all RTNs are connected and all SNDs are connected, no matter how you name them (at least that's what I would guess, I didn't compare your schematic and your layout). That's because of the way they were defined in the library editor. If you want individual solder pads, the library "wirepad" has what you need. You could also place vias in the layout editor and rename them to the net you want them to connect, but the wirepads would be the better way because it's also transparent in the schematic.
How you could have found your mistake: use the SHOW command (or the eye symbol) and click on one of the nets in the schematic. You will see that also all the other nets light up where SNDs/RTNs are connected. They behave just like GND, for example.

Volker

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

thanks for relocating MM. it was late last night when i was working on this, and i guess i forgot about this thread.

thanks marshmellow! i'll try the vias. i couldve sworn i have used sends and returns before, but now that i think about it, it could've been for a design with just one pot.

anyways, this is a design that'll probably get it's own thread soon. i was trying to go for something that can do a spirit in the sky kind of tone that can also do something a bit more musical. almost there, but it's just missing that last bit of misbiased nastiness!

-----

problem solved!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

for the record i used wirepads not vias.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

quaternotetriplet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by quaternotetriplet »

How i don't know how to set components invisible?? I just want the pcb image. anyone?? I view markov's blog but no steps.

sfx
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sfx »

Hi guys,

I'm trying to add a 12mm pcb mounted pot to my layout, how do I do this?

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

madbean wrote:If you are using eagle, then try 27 or 31 setting for drill size. For bits, anything numbered 68 or smaller is okay. I would by a couple of different ones and use the smallest you can get away with. I use different bit sizes for different components.

resistors caps and trannies get the smallest
diodes (like 1n400x) get slightly larger
wires get slightly larger

I use the guassmarkov libraries and set my layouts with a trace size of 32. The drill and pad sizes are preset. Once I'm done with the layout, I use the "restring" function under the 'design rules' button to size up all the pads. If you've laid things out well, you will have plenty of clearance between traces and pads. You can use design rules to automatically check and report problems in your layout for you.
thanks for the tip madbean. what exactly does restring mean anyway? is that going to make all the pads bigger or is it going to make them all one uniform size? many times i have different pad sizes from larger and smaller components, and i was wondering if it would affect this.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

RnFR wrote:thanks for the tip madbean. what exactly does restring mean anyway? is that going to make all the pads bigger or is it going to make them all one uniform size? many times i have different pad sizes from larger and smaller components, and i was wondering if it would affect this.
You can set upper and lower limits for pad size. It will size up your pads proportionally (you can ignore the "%" column).

Good practice in Eagle (for me) is this:

Set your grid to 25 mils with a multiplier of 4, with gridlines visible. For average (B and BB sized boards) this gives you all the flexibility you need as far as placement.

For your in/out/9v/ground connections use the "Supply" portion of the Guassmarkov library while creating your schematic. This lets you add pads of either square, octogon or round for the layout.

Use trace size of 32. Place all your components so that they are at least two spaces (not gridlines) away from the nearest pad/trace.

When your layout is done, use restring to size all the pads up to a min of 22 and max 26. If you've done all the above you will have a really nice pad/trace size to work with, and no overlap. If you find some pads and traces are overlapping, see if you can readjust the placement of the component. If it becomes too much hassle, just restring again with a smaller min/max.

Last step: do a ground pour.

Also, if you are etching your own boards, I would not use text in Eagle. Do that in an image editing program and you will have much more flexibility.

quaternotetriplet
Resistor Ronker
Information

PIn 4 and 8 does not show up on the schematic?? :scratch:

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

thanks madbean. very helpful.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

quaternotetriplet wrote:PIn 4 and 8 does not show up on the schematic?? :scratch:
Use the "invoke" button.

quaternotetriplet
Resistor Ronker
Information

how to put jumper cable??

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

quaternotetriplet wrote:how to put jumper cable??
Use the guassmarkov library.

quaternotetriplet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Any step. I'm when it comes to these things.

Do i need to open two eagle??

tried to put jumper but eagle tells me to do it on the schematics.

marshmellow
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by marshmellow »

This jumper is a normal part, so you have to do it in the schematic. By the way, you ALWAYS have to have the schematic and the layout window open at the same time, otherwise they won't be consistent anymore and you will probably end up in big trouble...

Easier (and to me nicer) possibility: just route the jumpers as the second layer. Doesn't work if you already use two layers, obviously. When exporting/printing the layout, just make the whole layer (DISPLAY dialog) invisible.

quaternotetriplet
Resistor Ronker
Information

thanks

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

ok, i've got an eagle question.

lately i've been using ground planes to attach my grounded parts instead of actually running traces. the problem is, when the pads connect to the plane, it is only by small crosshair-like lines. is there any way to increase the size of this crosshair? or do i just have to fill them with polygons?

attached is an example.
Attachments
TOECUTTERV4PCBV2.png
TOECUTTERV4PCBV2.png (14.22 KiB) Viewed 9989 times

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

When you create your ground plane using polygon, play with the width setting. Try bumping it up to 24 or 36. this should increase the size of the thermals. If not, try running a short trace off the pad that doesn't connect to any other pad. Then name the trace to "GND" like the others.

One of those should work.