Systech - Harmonic Energizer  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
joegore
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Little ones

Post by joegore »

You mean hemidemisemi-inches? ;)

rs
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rs »

There is a missing trace/line on the board.
Attachments
Sem título.jpg

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Nice spot! Thank you!

I'll fix it...

Here it is!
Attachments
SHE - PCB - Scaled - v2.pdf
(12.44 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

grizzlytone
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by grizzlytone »

joegore wrote:You mean hemidemisemi-inches? ;)
Joe,

A BIG grizzly hug for charing the Harmonic Energizer secret with us, I've been dying to figure out what makes it go -I'm almost there, Please look at the attached pdf and see if you can supply us with the answers to questions A to O.
Systech_Harmonic_Energizer_Final_Questions.pdf
(128.52 KiB) Downloaded 602 times
Eagerly awaiting your reply. THANKS AGAIN/ MB

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

grizzlytone wrote: Joe,

A BIG grizzly hug for charing the Harmonic Energizer secret with us, I've been dying to figure out what makes it go -I'm almost there, Please look at the attached pdf and see if you can supply us with the answers to questions A to O.
Systech_Harmonic_Energizer_Final_Questions.pdf
Eagerly awaiting your reply. THANKS AGAIN/ MB
Nice! I'll update my layout this afternoon, hoping Joe could provide the missing requested info...

Good job with the scematic!! :applause:
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

And will be thinking of reducing it enough to make a smaller PCB... :)
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

moltenmetalburn
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by moltenmetalburn »

lolbou wrote:And will be thinking of reducing it enough to make a smaller PCB... :)
:applause:
"The Humans Will Never Destroy Us"

joegore
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by joegore »

Done!

Thanks! Here you go:

A. A47-50K-Z
B. A47-50K-Z
C: A47-5000-S
D: TIS97 (and beneath that, on the same transistor: TI408)
E. 2N5458
F, G, H. I. J, K: Can't read all the actual caps, but in each case, the PCB reads 10mf.
L: The resistor immediately above cap F is 1k. The topmost one directly above that is 240k.
M, N: I'm not sure which ones you've marked. But the three resistors above the transistor marked E are (top to bottom as per photo) are 22k, 1k, 22k.
O: 510 ohms (not 51 ohms)
P: 12/75 — precisely on the cusp of "vintage" and "modern" per Freestompboxes categorization! ;)

Most of these values were determined by reading the PCB, not the actual component. In most cases, there's enough wiggle room to make out the PCB values, so if there are any other dubious values, just ask. I can also desolder if necessary, though naturally, I'd love not to.

Sickle
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Sickle »

Looks like someone's been reading this forum..

https://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Systech-Ha ... dZViewItem

joegore
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by joegore »

And now that I have the attention of the FSO elite, a couple of self-serving questions. Some are seriously off-topic, but I'm not sure where they should go. Thanks for your indulgence.

1. Anyone care to attempt a vero layout? I can try, but I estimate there are 47,279 people on this site who could do it faster and more reliably than me. Alternately . . .

2. Is there an extremely patient person here who could help me out with REALLY basic PCB-making questions? Starting with: Do folks get decent results with photocopying methods, as opposed to etchants? On the plus side, I have a laser printer. On the downside, my craft skills are so sketchy that I'm scared to fuck with even more toxins.

3. Not sure where to post this, so I'll put it here: I have a pretty large collection of pedals, though there's more boutique stuff than vintage (because, you know, I actually USE these things). Is there a dissection wish list here? I have lots of stuff I know is rare and desirable, though much of it seems to have been well documented already. Here are a few of the things that strike me as noteworthy:

• EH Frequency Analyzer (killer ring mod, way better than that godawful Jen thing)
• Lovetone Doppelganger, Ring Stinger, Big Cheese, and Flange With No Name
• Very early Z. Vex pedals
• Early Prescription pedals (incl. vomit-tone Experience, Facial Fuzz, COB and a prototype Out Box, which, believe it or not, I think I named)
• Best BBD delay EVAR (WH Aqua-Puss, naturally), plus a bunch of other analog delays
• A complete but fried Klon (thank you, Eastern European voltage!)
• A real unsung beauty: the Ibanez AF210, a compact auto-filter with switchable sweep direction and bandwidth.
• Maestro Rhythm N' Sound (if you don't know, you probably don't WANT to know!)

If I ought to post this info elsewhere, just tell me where. Also, I can't dissect all these at once! But if there's serious interest in any of them, I'll try to help out.

While I'm a noob builder, I am an old, old hand at working with these things. As I start to learn about this stuff, one area where I may be able to offer some insight is in combining and gain-staging effects because, basically I've been experimenting with every conceivable order and combination of various gain circuits. I want to make some multistage drive and fuzz boxes along the line of that 4-in-1 booster Soulsonic devised, and I've uncovered some extremely effective and flexible sequences/combinations. Where's the appropriate place to discuss?

Finally, I have a nice studio where it's easy to crank out high-quality demos of anything that interests anyone. And at risk of offending the analog community, I'm an audio software ace (at least on the Mac), and will happily try to answer any questions folks may have in that area, with an emphasis on mimicking all these tones in the digital realm.

Whew. Thanks for letting me go on. I appreciate the warm welcome, and look forward to making awful noises with you all!

grizzlytone
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by grizzlytone »

joegore wrote:Done!

Thanks! Here you go:

A. A47-50K-Z
B. A47-50K-Z
C: A47-5000-S
D: TIS97 (and beneath that, on the same transistor: TI408)
E. 2N5458
F, G, H. I. J, K: Can't read all the actual caps, but in each case, the PCB reads 10mf.
L: The resistor immediately above cap F is 1k. The topmost one directly above that is 240k.
M, N: I'm not sure which ones you've marked. But the three resistors above the transistor marked E are (top to bottom as per photo) are 22k, 1k, 22k.
O: 510 ohms (not 51 ohms)
P: 12/75 — precisely on the cusp of "vintage" and "modern" per Freestompboxes categorization! ;)

Most of these values were determined by reading the PCB, not the actual component. In most cases, there's enough wiggle room to make out the PCB values, so if there are any other dubious values, just ask. I can also desolder if necessary, though naturally, I'd love not to.
GREAT!! No need to desolder anything. Sorry about obviously underestimating your ability in electronics (and I adore your playing on To Bring You My Love). Here's what I'm hoping to be the final correct schematic along with the component placement layout. I realized that those of you using mac might have trouble seeing the fine lines in the layout drawing so I've increased the line width a notch, I have also put all the previously unknown values into the layout and schematic plus I've corrected the battery polarity in the schematics so I'm hoping that this will be a final complete version (although experience says it rarely is)
Gentlemen,
Start your soldering irons.
Best regards/ MB

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

@joegore,
Pleasure to see you here. Thanks for the photo's! Regarding vero layouts I can help you little. I discarded the stuff years ago. I'm afraid my way of making PCB's is a little over your head, especially if focussed on one offs. (too expensive)

But for the rest,
And @ the rest,
WOW! never saw a piece op guts being picked up so quick and leading to results. respect! :applause:
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

joegore wrote:• A complete but fried Klon (thank you, Eastern European voltage!)
With the info supplied in the klon threads repair should be a sunday afternoon's work. Brother Soul(sonic) might be helpful wirthe the degoop. He's been there :mrgreen:
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Thanks to the values and works from joegore and grizzlytone, here's the final layout following my PCB...

Have fun, and let know any comment... The best I can do about getting it smaller easily is to go down to 4.5 x 2.5 inches, so I'm almost giving it up...

Anyone better at designing PCB or veroboarding is welcomed!! :D
Attachments
Systec Harmonic Energizer - layout.pdf
(89.45 KiB) Downloaded 468 times
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

joegore wrote:
• EH Frequency Analyzer (killer ring mod, way better than that godawful Jen thing)
• Lovetone Doppelganger, Ring Stinger, Big Cheese, and Flange With No Name
• Very early Z. Vex pedals
• Early Prescription pedals (incl. vomit-tone Experience, Facial Fuzz, COB and a prototype Out Box, which, believe it or not, I think I named)
• Best BBD delay EVAR (WH Aqua-Puss, naturally), plus a bunch of other analog delays
• A complete but fried Klon (thank you, Eastern European voltage!)
• A real unsung beauty: the Ibanez AF210, a compact auto-filter with switchable sweep direction and bandwidth.
• Maestro Rhythm N' Sound (if you don't know, you probably don't WANT to know!)
Impressive!! :) Your open-minded motivation will be greatly appreciated here (and I do not know half of your pedals...)

Cheers!
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

great job fellas!

has anyone taken it upon themselves to input grizzly's schem into a proper schematic program? if not, i might have some time tonight.

thanks again, guys. excellent work.

________

as far as the vero is concerned, i might be able to take a crack at it. most of what i've done so far has been discrete, but i don't think it should be too much of the problem with the watchful eyes of fsb to back me up.

might not be for a little bit though-

[smilie=new_microwave.gif] i'm moving this weekend.
Last edited by RnFR on 23 Jan 2009, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

RnFR wrote:great job fellas!

has anyone taken it upon themselves to input grizzly's schem into a proper schematic program? if not, i might have some time tonight.

thanks again, guys. excellent work.
Cheers :oops: ... But, I'm afraid, I'm not good and fast with schematics yet... I shall do a template file with inkscape to do this easily... But now it's time for me to corrects some of my pupils test (a sort of degooping sometimes, though :lol: )...
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

Joe! Good to see you have joined up.

In response to Q2: Get those glossy spam news letters that usually get rammed through your door and use your laser printer to print directly onto that sort of paper, then iron off onto your PCB (I find that "cotton" heat setting works best on my iron). Then soak in soapy water before rubbing off with your finger. I've been doing this over and over recently trying to catch up woth a klon PCB backlog and I've got the technique down to a teeeeeeeee. It works very well, I'll try and do a photo essay and stick it up for you lot soon 8)

I am Klon.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Hello Joe
many thanks for the inspiration and kind donation - PM Torchy - he just loves doing vero board layouts (when he finds the time).
cheers
bajaman

ps: great teamwork guys and gals :thumbsup :applause: :applause: :applause:
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

joegore
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by joegore »

My pleasure, Bajaman — I've stolen so much from other people's work, I wanted to chip in at least something.

I dropped Torchy a note. Thanks for the tip.

Best,

Joe