Tone Generation for debug/building

Frequently asked questions about tools and instruments used in stompbox development.
Grathan
Information

Post by Grathan »

Looking for some ideas since strumming a guitar while testing can be such a hassle.

hooking up an ipod that loops a recorded guitar signal?

This seems like it might work, but is the signal even ac? Is there a way to make this work so that the output of the effect being tested gives similar results like a true guitar signal?

what other methods can be used?

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Frequency generator? Some can be easy to do, but do not really sound like guitar strumming...
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

Courtesy of RG Keen;

http://www.geofex.com/FX_images/q+dosc.gif

Other thing you can do is, if you have a delay capable of repeating a loop (DD-3 (hold), for example), that's your guitar signal generator.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

That's one I thought of fuzzer... I like this one too: http://www.nuxie1.com/guides/function-generator.html
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

Grathan
Information

Post by Grathan »

looks neat, of course I messed it up... :roll:

On the RG keen Twin Tee iscillator

1.) does this require 2 seperate 9v sources or can I just jumper the 9v+ hookups together?

2.) Is that a connection where the lines cross under the 4.7k?

3.) how do you hook this up?
Let's say I have an input and output wire from an effect I would like to run this signal through. Do I just take the 100mv lead and attach it to the input wire for the effect I wanna test out?

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

1) No, that's the same voltage node, you only need one battery.

2)Yes, it is a connection.

3) Yes, that's it, the output goes to the amp; or you start testing with the audio probe connected to the amp if that's the case.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

If you have a scope, a couple things might prove useful:
A triangle wave will more clearly show distortion/asymmetry rather than a sine (which is already rounded at the top).
The option for symmetric/asymmetric waveform can prove useful when sorting out phase inversion.
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

HydrozeenElectronics
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM 800 4210

Post by HydrozeenElectronics »

If you wanted to change the frequency of the RG Keen signal generator what parts would you change? like say if I wanted to had a couple switches so I could choose between three different tones.

thanks